Thread: Need help dumb questions

Need help dumb questions

Im taking my carb off and for the life of me can not figure out how to get the trottle cable off also I can not seem to get the 4 little brass screws out with out stripping everyone any body got any tips to help me out I dont have a service manual just got the quad and owner didnt have one and my dealers were out and it will be a couple days to order one.
    01 400ex wiseco 85.5mm piston 10:1, Pro taper bars, moose racing hand guards, uni closed lid filter,dg bumper, full dg exhaust

To get the throttle cable off you have to take the side cover off and then pull up on the throttle and pull the cable out. As for the screws stripping, try a screwdriver with a larger head and push hard as you back the screws out.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

A tip for the screws as I often find while working on a machine that has already been worked on that the screws were stripped badly. I take a small pair of vice grips and grab them to twist them out. Hope this helps.
    03 400ex, AC nerf bars, k&n open lid intake, Pro Circuit Tunable t4 slip on, Ground Welds Mod, FMF Power Up Jet Kit (dj170 main, 3rd clip, 3 turns out on the A/F)

Originally posted by bkelley
    To get the throttle cable off you have to take the side cover off and then pull up on the throttle and pull the cable out. As for the screws stripping, try a screwdriver with a larger head and push hard as you back the screws out.
    isn't the cable fitted into that metal 90* tube? Will it come out through there?
    06 400ex
    ODI Rouge grips, Renthal Bars, Rox Speed Dash, Tusk Nerfs w/Heel Guards, Prm Front Bumper, Prm Rear Grab Bar, Prm Air Scoops, Pro Armor Tether Kill Switch, FMF Powercore 4, Uni Filter w/outerwears cover

Jetting: 158 Main, 42 pilot, 2.5 turns, DJ needle on the 3rd notch

07 400ex - for the wife
    Completely stock for the moment all the way down to the heel guards and the tires

Well you have to thread that out from the carb itself. The tube is apart of the cable.
    '05 TRX400EX:
    |White Bros. E-Series Exhaust|Sparks +6° Key|42mm Keihin Carb: 165 Main, 52 Pilot|ESR Airbox Eliminator Kit|TAG T2 Bars|MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever|Burgard +2 A-Arms|G-Force Extended Hubs|KFX 450R Shocks|IMS-Roll Classic Bumper|AC Racing Blackline Pro-Peg Nerfs|ITP Holeshot H-Ds|Skat~Trak Extreme Paddles|

thanks for the help i got 3 out one is stripped to H$ll im gonna go try the vice grips now then ill head out to get some decent bolts that dont strip like these do
    01 400ex wiseco 85.5mm piston 10:1, Pro taper bars, moose racing hand guards, uni closed lid filter,dg bumper, full dg exhaust

Originally posted by bkelley
    Well you have to thread that out from the carb itself. The tube is apart of the cable.
    yeah I thought about that after posting. I always have to pull the carb off and spin it around to get the cable unscrewed from the carb. after doing what posted above of course.
    06 400ex
    ODI Rouge grips, Renthal Bars, Rox Speed Dash, Tusk Nerfs w/Heel Guards, Prm Front Bumper, Prm Rear Grab Bar, Prm Air Scoops, Pro Armor Tether Kill Switch, FMF Powercore 4, Uni Filter w/outerwears cover

Jetting: 158 Main, 42 pilot, 2.5 turns, DJ needle on the 3rd notch

07 400ex - for the wife
    Completely stock for the moment all the way down to the heel guards and the tires

ok guys the mechanic lied to the previous owner the carb has stock jettings 148 main and 38 pilot with the quad in my singnature what should i be looking to rejet to i was thinnking around 155 main and 42 pilot? is that a good starting place

Could anyone with similar mods post up what ur running im new at this any help for a starting place would be awesome

bump!