Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickett State Park / Monticello, KY

Pickett State Park / Monticello, KY

I went on a trail ride with over 80 other riders this weekend in Monticello, KY and Pickett State Park just over the border in TN. I've heard the number was 86 and others have said 83, either way there was over 80 vehicles. Many of the side by sides had two people in them.

It was pretty cool to be moving through the woods with that many people and that many different vehicles.

i ride some over in that area. I live in Albany close by. are you from the area?

I'm in Monticello.

Should meet up and go riding sometime. A few of us go sometimes on the weekends and i ride some through the week now that im laid off.

The last time we rode in the area was March 2006. I've been doing some browsing and found that Hancock's grocery is now Chestnut Grove Grocery. We used to love stopping there for lunch.....best bologna sandwiches anywhere!
    What is the status of the trails between Slickford and Pickett SP? The last I heard there was talk about a lot of the area being closed to riding.

The store is closed now.

The trails are in good shape. There is no local talk of those trails closing. A local lumber company bought a big tract of land that ties in with the area around the hippie cabin and they are leasing it out to a hunting outfit. Those trails have been closed for a couple years now but it really doesn't affect the area between Slickford and Pickett. There has been some talk that those trails might be opened back up soon but I think it's just talk...we'll see.

Sorry to hear about the store closing. :-((
    Is the "Car Hauler" bridge still usable?
    I've been to the Hippy Cabin several times. The trails south of it were always fun to ride. I remember stopping at places we called "Horse Rock" and "Table Rock". Not sure about the names the locals have for all those places.
    The very first time we were there I remember going out to the "Chimney Rock" but later they blocked the trail leading to it.
    But, even with that area closed, it still leaves a lot of good riding.
    Thanks for the reply. I'm from just south of Indianapolis. Hope to plan another trip down there soon.

Yup, the carhauler has had some recent repairs and is in pretty good shape. The trail below it has had some work as well. Horse rock, table rock and the hippie cabin trails are still open and in good shape for the most part.

Is there somewhere around Pickett State Park that someone could bring their Toy Hauler with their ATVs and ride from the campground to the trails? I spoke to the state park and they said not from there. Is there another campground around?

Thanks

It is not a very long haul from Pickett to good parking for the trails. I don't know of any place closer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast