Thread: 1995 Yamaha Blaster 2 stroke wont start

Angry 1995 Yamaha Blaster 2 stroke wont start

I am working on a buddies 1995 Yamaha Blaster. I don't know the size of the engine and its a 2 stroke. He tells me when he got it almost 5 years ago the guy he got it from drove it up and down the street. He hasn't started since, and it has been stored in Las Vegas outside most of the time. I pulled it apart, and checked for a spark, and there was at first. When we pulled some other body panels off and cleaned the carb, it still would not start, so we checked for spark again and there was none. Obviously the carb was filthy and jet completely plugged. We cleaned it up the best we could, but there still didn't appear to be any fuel getting into the cylinder. The air box was off the entire time so air getting to the carb was not an issue. My question is how do I check for power getting to the thing (the name escapes me) that feeds the spark plug wire? Is there supposed to be a battery in this thing? There is a head light, tail light, an ignition key and an on/off switch on handle bars, but no battery? It seems to be a kick start only. Any suggestions are appreciated, I have no experience on these things!!

Thanks in advance!
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS
    AC Blackline nerf bars
    Pro taper Pillowtop grips
    HMF Sport Series S/O orange
    JD Jets
    EHS air box lid mod
    K&N air filter

JUST GIVE A COP A HUG!!

lets see what we can do, first off it is a 200cc if it is stock, no battery, the coil is what i would call the thing that makes spark, lol. I would get a new plug and put in it also then check again. this will tell you if the coil is working or not. another way to tell is if the lights work when it is kicked over with the key on and the kill switch on. otherwise make sure the carb is put back together right, out new gas in it, clean the air filter under the seat, and make sure it has spark. if it still does not run with spark and such, do a compression test to see if the rings are still good in it. you can try to do a leak down test too but i am not sure if it works with 2 strokes since they are different internally than a 4 stroke. good luck, steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

COIL! thats what its called!! I knew that, mild brain fart! Okay, so assuming the head light is operable, when I kick this thing, the light should light up a little I assume? If that works then its safe to say the ignition key switch and on off switch are operating correctly. If I get a new spark plug and still no spark is there a way to check the coil? I am assuming the coil is getting a signal somewhere, just wanna confirm if the coil is bad or if the problem is before the coil.

What is the purpose of the mechanism above the carb? Its a thing that screws off that the throttle cable and needle goes into and has a hollow round metal piece that fits down inside the carb. Never seen anything like that before.

Also, when we tried to remove the carb there was a wire or small tube running from the carb into the engine. It ran into the engine next to what we determined to be the oil feed line. We tried to remove the wire from the carb and the engine, but were not successfull. I didn't want to pull too hard and break something.

How does the oil get into the engine? Gravity? Vaccuum? Is there a sensor that won't let the engine run if the oil is there? My concern is due to the fact it hasn't run for several years maybe the engine needs to be primed with oil?

Isn't there a gauge that screws into the spark plug opening to do a compression check? If so what should it read?

Thanks!
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS
    AC Blackline nerf bars
    Pro taper Pillowtop grips
    HMF Sport Series S/O orange
    JD Jets
    EHS air box lid mod
    K&N air filter

JUST GIVE A COP A HUG!!

Well i will see what i can answer. the metal thing inside the carb is something that i believe to be a stop switch that kills the engine and kills gas to the engine if it is flipped over. I amm not real sure though since i have not actually worked on a blaster. you can check the coil by using a volt meter and holding it to the terminals on the coil while turning it over to see if there is voltage coming off of it. i think this will work anyway. i am not sure about the line going to the motor. there is a pump that moves the oil i believe and it goes into the carb somewhere as far as i know. it mixes with the gas somehow though lol. I would say that the compression should be around 100-125 psi for a good motor and a bit less for one that is wore a bit but if it is down at like 50 or something then something is wrong there. the rings would be messed up if it is like that. the guage is a compression tester too lol. i think i got all the ones i know anything about. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

that box on top of the carb might be your problem,thats T.O.R.S. go to blasterforum.com and find t.o.r.s removal....i had to remove it on a blaster i had a while back..could be the problem,its easy to do to.

The metal box on top of the carb is the tors system (throttle overr ide system) you can just unplug the box. The line going to the carb is the oil mixer line i believe and you don't have to premix the fuel unless that system has been bypassed on this bike.The blaster has a self mixing system on it
    2000 yamaha banshee
    cool head 18cc domes
    barnett clutch with full lock up
    advanced timing plate +4 degs
    + 6 inch swing arm
    trnity pipes and silencers
    v force reeds
    baja wheels with hole shot tires all around
    110 vp fuel only
    28mm carbs tors removed
    still adding though