I am working on a buddies 1995 Yamaha Blaster. I don't know the size of the engine and its a 2 stroke. He tells me when he got it almost 5 years ago the guy he got it from drove it up and down the street. He hasn't started since, and it has been stored in Las Vegas outside most of the time. I pulled it apart, and checked for a spark, and there was at first. When we pulled some other body panels off and cleaned the carb, it still would not start, so we checked for spark again and there was none. Obviously the carb was filthy and jet completely plugged. We cleaned it up the best we could, but there still didn't appear to be any fuel getting into the cylinder. The air box was off the entire time so air getting to the carb was not an issue. My question is how do I check for power getting to the thing (the name escapes me) that feeds the spark plug wire? Is there supposed to be a battery in this thing? There is a head light, tail light, an ignition key and an on/off switch on handle bars, but no battery? It seems to be a kick start only. Any suggestions are appreciated, I have no experience on these things!!

Thanks in advance!