Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I get the axle bolt off

Both nuts are reverse threaded, correct? Or is the thin one reverse threaded, and the wide one normal?

both reverse i think, i only have the big one on mine cause i have a RAD lock-nut but i'm pretty shure there both reverse
    02 400ex upgraded to 07 plastics, w/ DMP Graphics/seat cover
    DG bumper, Pro Armor swingarm skid plate,motor sport nerf bars, 3'' riser with protaper se bars, k&n air filter, power madd hand guards,jeted, HMF slip-on,sparks timing key, RAD mfg double row carrier with anti fade lock nut(red), tinner scoops(PC black), C&D rebuilt/sprung 450r shocks, Hiper CF1's(black)

OK, so after alot of muscle, we finally got it off tonight. Now, any tricks to getting brake hub off? We actually cracked it tonight trying to get it removed.

no it should slide off, your machine must have not been apart in a long time. I dead blow hammer is good to use to knock things apart without wrecking them. Make sure everything is well cleaned and lubed before reassembly or you will have to go through all this again next time.

c-clip off? if it is just lube it and try and break it free, shouldnt be anything holding it on besides the clip
    02 400ex upgraded to 07 plastics, w/ DMP Graphics/seat cover
    DG bumper, Pro Armor swingarm skid plate,motor sport nerf bars, 3'' riser with protaper se bars, k&n air filter, power madd hand guards,jeted, HMF slip-on,sparks timing key, RAD mfg double row carrier with anti fade lock nut(red), tinner scoops(PC black), C&D rebuilt/sprung 450r shocks, Hiper CF1's(black)

Yeah, my machine is a 2002. I bought it used, but I don't think the rear end has been touched in 7 years. Which I guess points to the quality of having a Honda, but damn, this stuff is on there.

I removed the c-clip, so there shouldn't be anything holding it on there. In theory, it should slide off, but it's being stubborn. I'll let it sit tonight with WD40 and give it another try tomorrow.

Any tips are appreciated though.

Well, with a whole bunch of PB and pounding, I finally got the brake hub off. It's cracked, but It's off. After pounding on the bearings, I finally gave up and took the bearing carrier to a machine shop. Took the guy an hour to get them out. Needless to say, this project has been a b*tch.

Now I'm just waiting for some new o-rings to come in so I can put everything back together.

I wanted to say thank you for everyone's help. I couldn't have gotten this done without this forum.

not sure if you got the machine shop to press in the bearings but if you didnt, put them in the freezer when you take them out wipe a little lube around the outter race and tap in. This is how I did mine and went in easy as pie. Good Luck

those factory nuts suck i got tired of them and cut them off and bought a RAD nut no more problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12