Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get the axle bolt off

How do I get the axle bolt off

I've searched the forums, have the manual, and the instructions below. I know they are reverse threads. The first axle bolt backed away, but the larger one just won't budge. Any suggestions? I've heated it, WD-40'd it, muscled it, but nothing seems to be working. Please help!

remove both rear wheels

take off the right rear hub

loosen the chain and take off the rear sprocket....leave the 4 retaining bolts loose

take the caliper off the disk...tie them up out of the way

loosen the axle nuts...remember that they are reverse threads...

remove the clip and then take the axle nuts off...then the collar

remove the brake hub

remove the circlip, then the brake stay

drive the axle out from the throttle side to the clutch side

do the same with the bearing carrier...

for pics, just go to any website that has a parts microfiche(an exploded view of the parts) and use that as a guide...most have that area of the 400ex as 2 different diagrams...the swingarm and the rear axle/drivechain

You need the special big wrenches for the nuts. They have a 1/2 inch drive on the end of them, so you can attatch really big breaker bars. That, and alot of heat. Sometimes you need an acetelyne torch to heat them up red hot, especially if your quad has been exposed to salt.

Sometimes though, they just loosen up for no reason. It's kinda hit and miss.
    2004 400EX, currently in full teardown waiting for gusset kit to arrive.

Working on a custom Banshee with a CBR 1100XX blackbird engine.

ASE Master certified automobile technician. American Honda registered service technician.

Special wrench? which one? Do I buy it at the Honda dealership?

you just mean the locking nuts right beside the brake assembly?
    I had a tough time getting mine off there is no trick the just get seized up. I used wd40 and muscle and wd40 and muscle and repeat. the large nut locks the smaller one on. I just used big pipe wrenches and a pipe on the handle for extra torque. eventually it loosend up and came off. cleaned it up good and went back on easy as pie. good luck

Either that, or 2 really big Crescent wrenches and alot of *** behine them.
    2004 400EX, currently in full teardown waiting for gusset kit to arrive.

Working on a custom Banshee with a CBR 1100XX blackbird engine.

ASE Master certified automobile technician. American Honda registered service technician.

you loosened it up all the way to take the clip off first didnt you? or wont it budge either way you turn it?
    Originally posted by Pappy
    Get them hammered at a wedding and the panties drop greg

It won't budge either way I turn it. The smaller nut budged, and moved toward the brake rotor, but the larger one is stuck. I can see the retaining ring just inside the rim of the larger nut, but since it won't budge, there's no way to get to that retaining clip.

not much else to say, back off the locking nut(thin one) and then loosen the big nut that threads onto the collar, my first time was a b***** to get off, like said above,heat and wrench, do you have a big set of wrenchs?
    02 400ex upgraded to 07 plastics, w/ DMP Graphics/seat cover
    DG bumper, Pro Armor swingarm skid plate,motor sport nerf bars, 3'' riser with protaper se bars, k&n air filter, power madd hand guards,jeted, HMF slip-on,sparks timing key, RAD mfg double row carrier with anti fade lock nut(red), tinner scoops(PC black), C&D rebuilt/sprung 450r shocks, Hiper CF1's(black)

Yeah, I've got the big wrenches, lots of WD40, and a torch to heat it up. Going to try it again tonight. I think it's just being stubborn.

more then likely, we were about ready to cut mine off then it finally broke free, just make shure you are loosning it(turn the nut forwards). good luck
    02 400ex upgraded to 07 plastics, w/ DMP Graphics/seat cover
    DG bumper, Pro Armor swingarm skid plate,motor sport nerf bars, 3'' riser with protaper se bars, k&n air filter, power madd hand guards,jeted, HMF slip-on,sparks timing key, RAD mfg double row carrier with anti fade lock nut(red), tinner scoops(PC black), C&D rebuilt/sprung 450r shocks, Hiper CF1's(black)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast