Thread: 2003 LTZ spark plug

Hybrid View

2003 LTZ spark plug

I just bought a 2003 suzuki ltz 400. It has a rough idle and is bone stock minus someone removing the internals of the muffler. It sounds like it has a cam lope and feels like a miss at low RPM but once I get into it, it flies and doesn't miss a beat. I want to change the spark plug. I have heard mixed opinions of how, remove the gas tank or just use a swivel socket? Can you tell me exactly what tools you used and your easiest way? And maybe if there's anything else i would have to do or if it's most likely the plug for the rough idle. It has very low hours (less than 50) and I just changed the oem air filter. Thanks in advance.
    2003 Suzuki LTZ 400
    Stock

do you have the tool kit that came with the quad ?
    there should be a socket in the kit that will take the plug out , granted its not much fun to do with the engine hot but it does do what its designed to do, the rubber thing in the socket is important to have in it , spark plug sockets have it to hold on to the plug.
    on the right side of the head you will find a small hole , use air to blow out any dirt or water that may be next to the plug before you take out the plug.

the gas tank is easy to get off and if you dont have the tool to do it taking off the tank is no more that gas lines 2 small bolts and them 6 snap in things
    03 Z400
    13:1 JE piston
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    RHC Ferrea valves +1 intakes
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    42mm Sredrum TB fcr carb w//RAT 180&48@1000, 160&42@5000'
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel
    drz manual engine decompresser
    06 clutch ,450r plates ,400ex springs
    12 paddle 22x12x8 skat-trak TB exstreems (72 rollout)

Honda trx700xx, 751cc +3 stroke,+3 bore, +1 intake valves,

3/8 drive swivel ratchet

FYI: If you run a Clark or IMS tank, its a real biaaatttcchhh!
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

thanks for the info. Yes I did find that in 1 other place lastnight about the spark plug socket being with the tools. It was in there but I was worried about the trash in that hole. I'm glad you warned me to blow through that small hole. Do you know if a bad spark plug can cause those atv's to run rough and idle rough? LIke I said it sounds like it's a cammed out racecar. I appreciate the help!
    2003 Suzuki LTZ 400
    Stock

there are a number of things at can do that ,its a 4 cycle, timing is a factor as well as the carb , things do ware out like the cam chain , how many clicks do you have on the ACCT .
    still, i would not hesitate to change the plug.
    03 Z400
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel

clicks on the Acct? I'm new at this and feel pretty ignorant but just a guess that your asking how many hours on the atv? I was told 30 hrs since new. I can tell it has a few more but it really hasn't been ran more than 10 hrs in the past year and a half, and i know that for a fact. Would it hurt for me to put lucas injector cleaner in the gas to help liven it up in case it's getting old?
    2003 Suzuki LTZ 400
    Stock

I found the spark plug socket tool in the pouch lastnight and changed out the spark plug without any problems. It ran about 50% better but it still had a bit of sputter when holding it at a constant rpm. I smelt the gas and it smelled okbut I poured a little lucas injector cleaner in it to help liven the gas up. After that it ran about 90% without very much sputter at all. I have a good feeling that it's all about the gas. The guy that i bought it from said that it hasn't had more than 10 hours in 1.5 years and it hasn't been out of his garage besides for starting and keeping the battery charged in 1 year. How can I drain the gas, is there a line that I can pull and it just drain right out?
    2003 Suzuki LTZ 400
    Stock

yaaaa you could pull the gas line at the carb ,turn the petcock to prime and drain it , but my self i would pull off the tank and turn it up side down , give it a good rinsing with fresh gas .
    03 Z400
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel

Alright, cataway. I really appreciate all of your help. I am used to the 4x4 offroading forums where multiple people answer questions so in the beginning I was about to stop looking at this forum but since you have been keeping up with me and answering my questions I think it is a nice forum. Thanks again.
    2003 Suzuki LTZ 400
    Stock