Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, got a new Z400 and have a small prob.

Ok, got a new Z400 and have a small prob.

Well my buddy bought it.. but hes not into forums.. so..
    it's an 03 Suzuki Z-400

After "De-****ing" previous owners wonderful work.. we topped off the coolant and fired it up.. Nifty little thing happened when i goosed the throttle.. water flew out of the radiator neck at a good rate.. hmm i work on cars everyday for 8 hrs never seen one do that... hmm maybe quads flow different ? and the water being shot out was blackish as if there were some carbon in it.. Anyhow get it filled put the cap and noticed the coolant in the overflow splashing around like there's big air bubbles coming in there.. pulled the cap off the overflow and smelled it.. smells like exh gas.. WTF so we're pretty sure there's a blown head gasket on this machine.. roll it back in the shop and run it a little more and it starts pissing out more carbon colored water... shut it off and it stopped.. WTF??

So are there any common problems with these machines ?? or is it just result of an incompetent previous owner ?
    00' 440EX * stg 2 cam * White Bro's rev box * T-4 Slip on * Hole Shots * DG Nerfs

Project NIGHTMARE

My quad's so black it could run for president !

Sounds like a blown HG for sure. Which really is not a common problem with these bikes. I'm pretty sure it was from the previous owner like you stated. But that sort of ignorance and lack of care for the bike leads me to believe there is more to it. When you tear the top end down be sure to check everything. Also it had to get really hot to blow the gasket so check the coolant system( clogged radiator, water pump working?) While he's got it apart he might as well spend $170 for a DRZe kit from Advantange Cycles. It would be well worth it.
    2004 KFX400,Yoshi 450 bbk, drze kit, drz flywheel, CWR pro-cams, Crasko P&P, custom Yosh header with FMF PC4, FCR39, ESR intake, Leager A arms, GTT modded 450r shocks, GTT rear link, Tag stem & bars, LSR axle, YFZ450 front calipers

2000 Lakota 300, DG excellerator,400ex carb,JB custom intake,Crasko P&P head CWR 335 kit and 390 cam, 400ex rear hubs, kfx400 front suspension, JB custom rear swinger.

Sponsors- JBcustoms, 6th Pinned Motorsports, Crasko Performance.

Yea, thats the only bad thing about buying a used bike. You never know what your getting. Besides the DRZ kit, you might want to make sure the head or cylinder surface didnt get warped. Im sure thats its fine, but you never know.
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

What is the DRz kit ?? neither of us know anything about Suzuki's.. Both Honda guys (for now) and i beleive he is going to have the head checked out by a machine shop
    yea we tore into it yesterday fixing all the hack fixes form the previous owner.. Bolts didnt line up or they broke off so the body mount and MUFFLER were held on with zip ties
    00' 440EX * stg 2 cam * White Bro's rev box * T-4 Slip on * Hole Shots * DG Nerfs

Project NIGHTMARE

My quad's so black it could run for president !

hmmmmmmmm not surprised to hear about zip ties.... ya its been done.
    its not well known but the tq on the head bolts should be higher
    than what the book says, go with 42-44 foot lb's
    03 Z400
    13:1 JE piston
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    RHC Ferrea valves +1 intakes
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    42mm Sredrum TB fcr carb w//RAT 180&48@1000, 160&42@5000'
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel
    drz manual engine decompresser
    06 clutch ,450r plates ,400ex springs
    12 paddle 22x12x8 skat-trak TB exstreems (72 rollout)

Honda trx700xx, 751cc +3 stroke,+3 bore, +1 intake valves,

Yea, this is my quad he's talkin' about. Happy now Cronk, I signed up here? I'm not impressed by the previous owner's workmanship. I mean duct taping the air box in place? Really, is it that hard to drill a hole and put a bolt in it? Once I get into it I'll be able to get things straightened out.

First time ever dealing with a Suzuki product. I was really wondering what common problems these had.

Originally posted by Muddinguy
    What is the DRz kit ?? neither of us know anything about Suzuki's.. Both Honda guys (for now) and i beleive he is going to have the head checked out by a machine shop
    yea we tore into it yesterday fixing all the hack fixes form the previous owner.. Bolts didnt line up or they broke off so the body mount and MUFFLER were held on with zip ties
    Its moreless for reliability purposes. New chaim chain, valve springs and stuff like that off a DRZ400.
    OXC #247
    2011: Scott Optics, Hinson Racing, HRP Sports, DeRisi Racing, Houser Racing, HiPer , Rath Racing, MSR........................

HAULIN DONKEY RACING !!!

Originally posted by airmobile101
    Its moreless for reliability purposes. New chaim chain, valve springs and stuff like that off a DRZ400.
    The chain is the same right? The drz chain part # changes to the ltz.
    2004 400EX

Picked up gaskets and a service manual today. Pulled the head off the motor. Looks like it was just a small leak in the gasket, no coolant ended up in the cylinder or crankcase.

I'm gonna do some clean up and inspecting. This thing may have been overhauled.

Still finding minor problems here and there. Nothing major or hard to fix, but still aggravating.

I'm gonna pick some stuff up and try to get this thing back together tomorrow, unless the head is warped.

check your intake valves they have a tendence to ware out faster then they should
    03 Z400
    13:1 JE piston
    95.5 bore
    +5 stroke
    RHC Ferrea valves +1 intakes
    P&P
    Barker performance pipe
    no air box
    dynatek cdi
    05 trx450r air boot
    42mm Sredrum TB fcr carb w//RAT 180&48@1000, 160&42@5000'
    RHC cams #208 &#187
    -16 flywheel
    drz manual engine decompresser
    06 clutch ,450r plates ,400ex springs
    12 paddle 22x12x8 skat-trak TB exstreems (72 rollout)

Honda trx700xx, 751cc +3 stroke,+3 bore, +1 intake valves,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast