Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you make your quad street legal

how do you make your quad street legal

I was wondering if anyone here has made there quad street legal and what it take to do that. I live in Florida so any help would be great.

Also does anyone know how to get a title for a 2005 Honda ATV that does not have a Vin number on it. Trust me where the Vin number is suppose to be it is gone but does not look like it has been tampered with it;s just gone so if anyone has any knowledge if it can ever be retitled please let me know thanks.

You can't do it. They were never registered as DOT legal vehicles to begin with. I have contemplated this myself, and even asked the highway patrol, if I added everything a motorcycle has, (DOT legal tires, turn signals, horn, etc) if I could obtain a licence plate for it.

They said there's no way to issue a plate for a vehicle not catorigized as a motorcycle.

That being said, i bet you could convert a motorcycle intp a 4 wheeler and it would be legal, and there's not much anyone could do about it, if you crossed all your T's.

BTW, your VIN number is on the front of the frame, behind the bumper.
    2004 400EX, currently in full teardown waiting for gusset kit to arrive.

Working on a custom Banshee with a CBR 1100XX blackbird engine.

ASE Master certified automobile technician. American Honda registered service technician.

so how come i see some four wheelers on the net that say there street legal or that they can be ridden on the street. Or how is it that i have seen some dirtbikes converted to be street legal.

up where i live i can ride wheeler on most roads cept state highways and interstates all i need is my registration sticker
    TIM

2003 raptor 660

Its kinda hard to explain to the average person why we risk breaking all our bones but, you know what......................................thats what makes our sport so bad a*s

dirt bikes are actually categorized as a motorcycle.. and with the right set ups, horn, signals, tires you can ride them on the roads. some four wheelers are allowed on the roads in some areas depending on the area you live in and laws but most just allow you to ride in town or down a road to get to trails. just not major travel like you would do in your car.
    Originally posted by Pappy
    Get them hammered at a wedding and the panties drop greg

^^agreed but on some county highways you are allowed to in polk and barron county wi at laest
    TIM

2003 raptor 660

Its kinda hard to explain to the average person why we risk breaking all our bones but, you know what......................................thats what makes our sport so bad a*s

Originally posted by ngates788
    dirt bikes are actually categorized as a motorcycle.. and with the right set ups, horn, signals, tires you can ride them on the roads. some four wheelers are allowed on the roads in some areas depending on the area you live in and laws but most just allow you to ride in town or down a road to get to trails. just not major travel like you would do in your car.
    +1 Well said
    Its for sale pm for more info
    2002 440ex
    JE 12-1 piston
    Oversize valves
    Hd Clutch springs
    Hot cams stage 2
    HMF slip on
    Houser +2 a arms
    Durablue +4 axle
    Burgaurd +1 Stem
    450r Front shocks
    Pro Armor bumper
    Pro armor fat peg nerfs
    OMFscoops
    LSR Carrier
    Denton stabilizer
    Pro Taper bars
    Pro Taper mounts
    AC belly skidplate
    Pro Armor swingarm skidplate
    Dynatech cdi
    IMS shifter
    Moose Case saver

Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
    You can't do it....
    Sure you can. BUT it completely depends on what state you live in. Every state has different regulations for registering (for the street) vehicles not originally manufactured for the street. In some states it's not possible while in others it's pretty easy. I have a YFZ450 with a street plate and it's legal to operate on any road.

Quads mostly suck as street machines though.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

Hey, GPracer. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. Do you think the laws are any different for Chandler and Phoenix? Cause I really want to legalize my quad for the street, just for the hell of it. Same with my friend.
    You don't have mirrors or anything? Just a plate? And it's legal?!
    Walsh/Roll/PEP/Motowoz/Hiper and a hopped up motor, CRF450R Hybrid!
    Something different that does it all.

Originally posted by Cool Guy07400EX
    Hey, GPracer. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. Do you think the laws are any different for Chandler and Phoenix? Cause I really want to legalize my quad for the street, just for the hell of it. Same with my friend.
    You don't have mirrors or anything? Just a plate? And it's legal?!
    some of the older honda cars have the 4 x 110 bolt pattern, just to let you know, and mirrors aren't required.
    2000 400EX -

AC Propeg Nerfs, Pro Taper SE Bars, ASV Levers with Dust covers, Mod Quad Billet Shifer and Brake Levers, AC Swinger Skid, 22-9-10 Dune Trackers, 21-11-8 Sand Geckos, ITP Wheels. (Building)

'89 Toyota 4x4 Longbed - 5 Speed, 36" Swamper SX's, "Custom" cab, 4 Inch Trailmaster Suspension, 3 Inch Body, Headache Rack... Etc, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast