Thread: polaris sportsman 2001 500 HO

Question polaris sportsman 2001 500 HO

Last saturday i went riding quads with my buddies. I didnt put any pressure on my quad, i was acturally dirving pretty calm. After about half an hour on the trails my quad gave me a loud bang, the quad stoped and smoke started pouring from the left side. As it turned out, my belt snapped. I replaced it within the same hour and agian, in about 20 minutes of riding time the same thing happened...

Whats goin on? please help.

Belt Problem

I know someone who had this problem there are a few things it could be if your engine is not lined up right on mounts that will cause it. And if you have ebs they take a certain belt. It is different from a regular 500 belt. Your clutch could be the problem but unlikly. And if you are riding below 20 mph i have found it helps to keep the machine in low gear. That can be another problem once the belt slips it breaks shortly after.

thanx for the info,
    ive tried looking myself to find the problem but had no luck, I ended up taking my quad to the polaris dealer and have them look at it... To get to the point my clutches needed to be replaced, so i just ended up puting the ones from the newer model in.