Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats the easiest,most affordable car to build up and make fast?

Whats the easiest,most affordable car to build up and make fast?

So ive been wondering and thinking about this for awhile now,what would be the easiest,most affordable car or even truck to build up and make something outa performance wise to get it to run real good,baisicly strait line performance.I been wanting to get me a project car or truck for awhile now something that runs good and has a good drivetrain but mayb needs mostly cosmetic work done on it for like the $2,500 to mayb $3,000 range and down.You know something i can tinker around on and fix up and make nice for when i can drive without having to spend to much money on making it look decent and completely drivable.Ive looked on craigslist alot and there seem to be alota older muscle cars and lotsss of like 80's and 70's model trucks with hoped up 350's in them or other motors theyve spent alot into but then everything else is lacking and thy run outa money and then sell for cheap.So i started this thread to let everyone discuss and share theyre opinions on whats the best platform for this or what the best way to go about this is...I see alota 5.0 mustangs around n forsale pretty cheap,idk if im a mustang fan though(more chevy) and then theres the 90-96 twin turbo 300zx that id save i could get a nice one for 5-7k and go from there...

All in all im wondering would it b smart to get a good runing project with a good platform to start on for cheap and build it up nice,or save up till i can get something thats already built up decently and that dont need work but could be worked on,like get somthng nicer thats already pretty fast and if need be build that up to ones desires.So if people think the project is the way to go then share your opinions on what kind would be best in your opinion,if not then share what you think would be a nicer already halfway fast car price range 5k-10k or soo give or take.

Well lets see what everybody thinks:

If im not makin any sense leme know
    Made the ATV/Dirtbike switch,went from a 04 TRX450R to a 98 KLX300R 331 stroker.

John 3:16
    Every man fails.Champions simply get back up...and begin again.Losers make decisions that create their desired present.Champions make the decisions that create their desired future.----Your daily habits are carving out an irreversible future.Are you heading toward what you really want?

Cheapest cars to build that are worth it are 1st gen GSX's or TSI's. You can find 1st gen's around here already built for 3-4k.

Just my .02

1st generation eclipse's? why 1st generation? aint thy from like 90-94 or 93 and the GSX is all wheel drive right? and the TSI i read yesterday in a thread here tht the parts for them is expensive idk though... so what 0-60 and 1/4mile times would you be lookin at with a GSX wth lets say a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake and little things like that?or could you tell me what the ideal parts would be for that car and approx. how much moneys for them?
    Made the ATV/Dirtbike switch,went from a 04 TRX450R to a 98 KLX300R 331 stroker.

Every man fails.Champions simply get back up...and begin again.Losers make decisions that create their desired present.Champions make the decisions that create their desired future.----Your daily habits are carving out an irreversible future.Are you heading toward what you really want?

Originally posted by S.A.J
    1st generation eclipse's? why 1st generation? aint thy from like 90-94 or 93 and the GSX is all wheel drive right? and the TSI i read yesterday in a thread here tht the parts for them is expensive idk though... so what 0-60 and 1/4mile times would you be lookin at with a GSX wth lets say a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake and little things like that?or could you tell me what the ideal parts would be for that car and approx. how much moneys for them?
    '

That's a 2nd gen Talon in that thread. The first gen's are very cheap to buy and mod. 2nd gen's are a whole different story.
    As far as mods it all depends on what you want.

foxbody mustangs are really easy to find and are fairly cheap, parts are everywhere and tons of things you can do pretty easy, really light car for a V8 so you dont need crazy power to go fast
    Chris McCauley #58 District 6

2005 450r-MXP head, JB chassis, Fox/Axis

2007 CRF250-MB1 Suspension, Realbad motor

Thanks to 2012 Sponsors:
    Montgomeryville Cycle Center, MotoXperts, Cycra, Real Bad Motorsports, A&S Racing, Braking, AXO, Dynamite ATV, Amped
    Apparel, TRP hoods

Ohhh thats right i remember now too it was a newer one...Here i found this,sounds like a heck of a deal to me if theres really nothing wrong,i may call there see if he wants a dirtbike lol.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1231201820.html

So a 16g turbo,boost controller,exhaust,intake,would that be a good start or would i need to do something to give it more fuel with them mods already?

Also i see many eclipse's with the throwout bearing bad,how big of a pain and how pricey is it to fix that yourself?

buy a import and run 17 second quarter miles spend 4 grand in mods and run 15 seconds ..... or just spend 4k on a mid 90s z28 camaro and be plenty fast without spending any extra cash
    2005 TRX450R
    2004 CRF50

Originally posted by honduh440
    buy a import and run 17 second quarter miles spend 4 grand in mods and run 15 seconds ..... or just spend 4k on a mid 90s z28 camaro and be plenty fast without spending any extra cash
    You obviously know nothing about imports... I myself love camaro's and own one myself, but my buddy's 2nd gen Talon would run high 10's in the 1/4 and he was only into it $4,600 including the $3,000 he bought the car for... My personal opinion is imports are passing up the domestics in the power to weight department... A Camaro may have 700 hp but it's only running low 11's high 10's, where I've seen a talon with 409 AWHP run high 10's... ?

yeah i know about them foxbodys and thy dont look to bad to me either and stuff but you see im a die hard chevy fan always have been and i jst cant really picture myself driving a ford....but mayb if a good deal comes along i'll just have to lol

honduh440 i see were your coming from and i used to think the same also and if you own a small 4cylinder car without a turbo like lets say a stock civic or something like that(i got nothing against civics,jst an example)then yeah i can see were your coming from but i agree with Nova,plus we're talking here about turbo charged cars that already hav decent zip for what they are...

Originally posted by Nova
    You obviously know nothing about imports... I myself love camaro's and own one myself, but my buddy's 2nd gen Talon would run high 10's in the 1/4 and he was only into it $4,600 including the $3,000 he bought the car for... My personal opinion is imports are passing up the domestics in the power to weight department... A Camaro may have 700 hp but it's only running low 11's high 10's, where I've seen a talon with 409 AWHP run high 10's... ?
    domestics will always own the strip man.
    2002 400ex
    - Stage 1 Hotcam
    - FMF Megamax
    - K&N, No lid
    - Razrs
    - Renthal Bars

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast