Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: still puffin

still puffin under warranty!

Well I'm still dealing with a issue on my 07 which has only 21 hours on it,started puffing blue/white smoke the 2nd day I brought it home with less tha a hour on it.I called the dealer and he said to bring it in which I did and it did not puff a bit after he rode it for about 30 minutes.It will not do it cold,only when it's hot.I thought it was the break-in oil but I changed it at the 20hr mark 4 days ago and adjusted the valves but after a 20 minute ride today it started back,I know it does it while I'm riding "hard to look back to see" but if I stop pull in the clutch and rev it a bit I notice a hesitation and a puff ,I'm thinking it's in the carb but seems like it would do it cold as well.I called the dealer today and he wants me to bring it in so they can check it,knowing my luck they will say it's fine again?????

Whitish smoke is usually condensation in the exhaust that is evaporating when it gets warm. this is somewhat normal if it sits outside or something but if not then it becomes a bit more of a challenge. Anti freeze is the only other thing that burns white and we do not have to worry about that. if you can rule out condensation then it is a jetting issue. with a motor as new as yours i would assume it has some water inside the canister. I cant imagine jetting being off on it unless you have something done to it to make it lean out. just my .02 though steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

It's still stock and has not been wet other than a light wash,I got a whiff of the smoke,it has a fuel/oil smell.I usually ride utility models and noticed the ex was a bit more noisey,is that the norm for these engines?

yeah it should be a bit normal the valves click a bit and the cam chain makes noise when going around too. Check your jetting on the machine but if it is stock you should be fine. What elevation are you at. oif you are above 5000 ft you will have to rejet to lean it out a bit for the high elev. your dealer should be able to help you with that since they have jetting rec. from the factory but you can probably do it better yourself if you want. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

We are around 80' above sea level.I did notice the smoke does not linger like oil smoke and it quickly dissipates.We have a ride this weekend and may wait till next week to let the dealer look at it again,if it makes it.Wonder if Seafoam would help,I've had pretty good luck with it before if there is curd in the carb?

you could try to put some in there. i have had good luck with it. The best thing to do is have them take the carb off and clean it. then you will not void the warranty. Otherwise give it a little while and see what happens. Steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Angry

I rode it about 12 miles tonite and it is oil smoke,I sure hate for them to go into the motor this early.Guess I'm having buyer regrets,if they fix it I may trade it

you should not have to trade it. did something happen during break in to have it messed up already. take it in and tell them it is burning oil. if it is doing it all the time then it is the rings, if it is doing it on hard accelerations and at startup when cold it is the valve seals. it is covered so take it in and tell them to fix it and replace everything they can or they can have it back. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

No,actually I rode it pretty easy the first 15 hours and still do,I'm not a racer just a trail rider,still have not topped it out.It had less than an hour on it when my wife noticed the smoke riding behind me on the second day,I called the dealer the next day.It only starts after about 20 minutes of riding,it's more noticed during deceleration or when it's hot at idle and it's revved up,let it cool and it's fine again but the smoke is never constant.I used the recommended oil GN4 10w 40 and a honda filter at 20 hours.Tomorrow it will be 105 degrees here and it will not take long for them to see the smoke.Kinda feel like I got a lemon.Maybe Currie Chainsaw will make it right

take it in then and tell them to fix it all. it is rings if it does it like that at that interval i would say. If it was seals it would do it at initial start up too since it drips down on the piston when it is not running. good luck, steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast