Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to adjust the needle on an '01 400ex

agreed ^^^ good luck and take your time. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

ok guys so the bogging and sputtering started out of nowhere in the middle of riding. I had ridden with the jetting set up the same one other time with no problems. I did however wheelie over going up a dune the day before it started and bent my bars. I bought new ones and changed everything up and also put on a 14 t front sprocket. That was all I changed and then out of nowhere the next day it started actin like the choke was on. I lowered the needle down ( raised the clip a notch) thinking that would fix things and it didn't do anything. It kicks in at about a third throttle. my pilot is a 42 and main is 155. I think the pilot may be a little rich but it shouldnt affect it that much should it? it was fine for a few rides. All i have done to it is an intake kit and I took the spark arrestor out of the stock exhaust. HELP ME i am clueless

and im at about 5000 feet elevation. st anthony sand dunes.

maybe something came loose a bit in there. I am not sure anymore. if it ran fine something must have came loose or clogged something inside the carb to make it do that. if it is at 1/3 throttle the pilot is out of the question it does not work that far into the position. i would take it apart and make sure your float bowl goes up and down good and make sure nothing is clogged. check your filter for dirt and oil, gas, anything. check out your tubes going to the boot and make sure there are no holes make sure it is tight all around. check motor and gaskets, spark and cdi maybe it got messed up and is stalling it out on the higher rpms cause it is not getting enough spark. Good luck, steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

I posted both at the same time I wanted some immediate feedback so I can get to work on it tomorrow. I already had them both posted before you replied. I didn't mean to offend you or anything or insult your intelligence I appreciate all your advice

hey bro no prob i was not offended or anything sorry if i came off that way to you. i was just wondering what happened with this one to start another thread. lol, let me know what you find. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

So I put in a new plug to no avail, so I opened up the carb and the main jet fell out. Ya I dunno What happened when I put it in I must have only hand tightened it or something but it runs now. I feel like my pilot is a little rich what do you think?

I think that the 42 is a bit big, but you can try to turn in your f/a screw a little more and see if it helps. Otherwise you can put in a 40 and try it. I like my 38 but you dont have a choke and i do. if you still feel it bog a tad at say 2 turns out on the f/a then i would go smaller and start at 3 and go in from there if you have to. Good to hear that your machine is running better now. steve
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12