Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to turn over a high compression 400ex

how to turn over a high compression 400ex

Most everyone i know that has a 400ex goes out and puts a mild cam in along with a high compression engine, and if you have cranked the compression up too much then you may notice the engine doesnt turn over to easily and if the motor doesnt fire right away or is cold and takes awhile before it stays running the battery may start to die on you, well an easy fix is, a new battery. but not any battery go out and buy a battery from a raptor 660, garentee you have never heard a 400ex engine turn over so fast, this helps to not only provid more cranking force but turning the engine over faster also helps to start it, kinda like pull starting it and popping the clutch.
    to do it all you need is the raptor batter and somthing to cut the top of the batter box off with, because the raptor battery is alittle taller then the stock 400ex one, then you will need a new flat stock of metel that can be bent to form a new band to hold the batter in place or take the easy way out and use a tie down. the metal stock is much cleaner looking and professional but the tie down serves the same purpose and also makes for a faster removal of the battery if needed, now the fender support on the stock fenders do get in the way SLIGHTLY and can be left but the bar does make contact with the top of the batter, an easy fix is put a small peice of weather stripping on the top of the battery or just remove the bar eaither way works and has no ill effect

a GSX-R 1000 battery is the same size as the EX battery and has more CCA so it will fit with no mods
    '05 400EX
    -HMF Sport Series
    -Twin Air Filter
    -DG Swingarm Skid
    -DG V-Lite Bumper
    -Moose Shock Covers
    -Pro Taper Contour Bars
    -Mod Quad Steering Stem & Clamp
    -ITP T-9 Baja Rims
    -ITP Holeshot XCR'S

what year gsx-r 1000?

How much do these battery's run? I just bought one for my 450 Foreman and it cost me $75.
    89TRX310ESR,9porting,11pipe,38Mikuni,Ported Radvalve,CR ignition, lightened CR flywheel, lightened counterbalancer,Dunlophttp://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/000_0769.jpg

YT12A-BS is the yuasa battery number
    '05 400EX
    -HMF Sport Series
    -Twin Air Filter
    -DG Swingarm Skid
    -DG V-Lite Bumper
    -Moose Shock Covers
    -Pro Taper Contour Bars
    -ITP T-9 Baja Rims
    -ITP Holeshot XCR'S

2005-2007 gsx-r 1000
    55 more CCA than the ex battery
    and its a 9.5 AH battery compared to the ex's 8 AH
    and its the exact same size
    '05 400EX
    -HMF Sport Series
    -Twin Air Filter
    -DG Swingarm Skid
    -DG V-Lite Bumper
    -Moose Shock Covers
    -Pro Taper Contour Bars
    -ITP T-9 Baja Rims
    -ITP Holeshot XCR'S

awesome info everyone. Thanks!

how does the moose 400ex replacement battery compare to that yuasa battery???

Originally posted by H400DAN2004
    how does the moose 400ex replacement battery compare to that yuasa battery???
    Yuasa sets the standard for small batteries in this line. Their quality control is outstanding and there is not another company on the planet making a battery that can match them.

Many mexican and chinese units have flooded teh market and the big chain stores gobble them up because they can sell them cheap. After 20 years selling batteries, I can say that its a 50/50 shot with an off brand as to it making it more then a season or so. The Yuasa's have a much better track record.

That doesnt mean the others are total junk, but the old adage "You get what you pay for" is true here, along with proper maintence of the electrical system.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Originally posted by Pappy
    Yuasa sets the standard for small batteries in this line. Their quality control is outstanding and there is not another company on the planet making a battery that can match them.

Many mexican and chinese units have flooded teh market and the big chain stores gobble them up because they can sell them cheap. After 20 years selling batteries, I can say that its a 50/50 shot with an off brand as to it making it more then a season or so. The Yuasa's have a much better track record.

That doesnt mean the others are total junk, but the old adage "You get what you pay for" is true here, along with proper maintence of the electrical system.
    I think Yuasa has gone the way of the cheap crap batteries . Ive had 3 in the last couple of years couldnt pass a load test right out of the box. Every battery I buy always gets load tested and i agree about the 50/50 shot at having a good one but I have to lump yuasa in with the china ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast