Thread: 350 rancher wont stay running

350 rancher wont stay running

2003 rancher 350 fm with uni air filter. was riding today and it just died then it started right back up and ran fine, about one hour later it did it again but started hard this time. but ran fine. we stoped and ate for about a half hour and when we came back out and started riding again it was poping when ever i let off then it died again about one mile down the trail and now it will start but wont stay running. the other wierd part is the dip stick side of the motor is low on the dip stick but the fill plug side seem like it is too high. I check the lines going to and from the oil cooler and they are not plugged. the pump is working and building presure.
    2005 hrc 450r sold
    2003 350 fm rancher
    2001 400ex sold
    wanting, waiting for a new rincon

need some help

today i checked the oil and everthing was at the leve it was suposed to be at so i started working on the running problem and took the carb out and cleaned the best i could without changing the jets and put it back in and it started and ran without the poping and backfireing. but once it was warm after riding it for a bit the the idle was screaming i turned it down rode it some more came to a stop shifted to nuetral and same thing idle was screaming again. should i just go through and rebuld the carb or do i have other isues?
    2005 hrc 450r sold
    2003 350 fm rancher
    2001 400ex sold
    wanting, waiting for a new rincon

How about your choke plunger assy on the left side of the carb? I have seen them stick or the o-ring gets wore and allows air to pass causing a vacuum leak and crazy idle issues,last choke plunger kit I got was on ebay for about $35 which included everything.If it's quite with the atv off,work the choke and listen for it to seat "click".Also check your intake boot for cracks,behind it is a o-ring so there are several possibilities,carb cleaner works well for locating vacuum leaks but be careful,don't want a fire
    02 Kawasaki 650 -Highlifter module ITP Mudlites HMF/Jetted K&N, 02 Sportsman X 500 HO- lift kit ITP 28" Outlaws K&N, 96 Honda 300 4wd,07 400EX stock for now,93 Yamaha XT350. 06 Eton Viper 90- reeds clutch kit. 79 Camaro -my old drag car in restoration