Thread: 04 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Shutting Down

04 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Shutting Down

I was riding my sportsman, put 300 miles on the newly rebuilt motor, its agressive and goes good.....yet today as i was turning into a trail and gave it gas, the whole bike shut down, even the pod...which means it has to be electrical....any idea as to what it'd be??

I just went thru the same thing with my 04.5

First check the ground wires that are connected on the frame. Refer to you service manual if you can't find them.

If it isn't that there are some brown wires under the hood that can get corroded or come loose. Make sure they are good.

Thirdly, check out the connections on the wires to the cdi and the unit it hooks into below it. They are all under the hood near the stearing stem.

Good luck
    2004 TLD Predator 500
    Yoshimura TRS Full Titanium System
    Vortex CDI
    Rath Intake with K&N
    Edlebrock Carb
    Trial Tec X Bars w/ Dash and Comp.

2004 Sportsman 500

2005 CRF450R

2000 Dyna Wide Glide
    Harley Davidson

Does it only happen when your turning?
    Cuz my friend and i had a problem like this, this may sound dumb, but we both had a little rubber advertisement from the place we bought them on our key and when you would turn sharp it would get wedged in the gas cap and just shut the ATV off. We took them off and have never had that problem again.
    03 KFX 400
    Yoshimura/Twin air 13/40 gears
    Custom frame Gussets(After my frame cracked)
    06 Works rebuilt front shocks
    +2 in. Durablue rear axle
    ITP Holeshot HDs on Black ITP SS wheels
    Pro Armor nerf bars
    Tag X5 bars
    Fly Quick Adjust Clutch lever

i had the same problem on mine and it was a recal from the polaris dealer and we got our 2004 500 fixed for free its a coil that goes on the handle bar and i cant remember what its called
    2000 400ex, hmf slip-on, k&n airfilter,outerwears filter cover, outerwears lid, big-gun rev box, stage 2 hotcam, lonestar extended axle, protaper bars, rock nerfs with heel gaurds, powder coated rims, ITP holeshots, renthol chain and sprockets