Thread: Visco Lok vs AWD system

Visco Lok vs AWD system

Hello,
    I am considering the Can Am 650 MAX XT or the Polaris X2 800 both 2009 machines.

How does the Visco Lok match up to the Polaris system?

Does the Visco Lok system have issues in the winter? Or work slower in the winter because of the fuild in the Visco Lok system?

I have read the 09's engage quicker...is this true..the dealer I spoke with was not sure.

I will be using the machine for hunting, ice fishing, plowing, yard work and some light trail riding.

I test drove both machines and like both, but I really liked the 650.

Let me know what you think...Thank you the help!

We currently own sporstman 500 and a brand new outlander 500XT.

When we were shopping for a new Quad, out here in Idaho they let you test drive the quads first. We rode all the new polaris Quads and actually almost bought one of the new 800's, that was until we rode the outlander.

The feel of a Can-am was so different from any Quad, very sporty yet can crawl where ever you need it too, we use it for hunting and hill climbing. The can-am walks away from our 500 in everyway, the polaris atvs have the same feel, they are great quads and honestly if you got an 800 I am sure it would be great. All I am saying is the can-am is slightly better.

As for the 4x4 systems, I have heard reviews on both systems, it all depends on the rider, both systems are amazing and will get you out of anywhere.

I would see if you could test drive a can-am and the new polaris.

The 650XT might be the ulitmate rig to get.

can-amtalk.com has some forums you can look at for 650 info

Here is some horsepower info too

Can-Am Outlander 800__61.7 hp
    Can-Am Outlander 650__55.4 hp
    Kawasaki BF750 Carb___50.1 hp
    Sportsman 800_________50.1 hp
    Kawasaki BF750 EFI____49.8 hp
    Suzuki KQ700__________48.5 hp
    Yamaha Grizzly 700____45.6 hp
    Sportsman 700_________44.3 hp
    AC 700________________41.4 hp
    Kawasaki BF650________41.4hp
    Yamaha Grizzly 660____40.9 hp
    Can Am Outlander 500__40.4 hp
    AC 650 H1_____________39.3 hp
    Honda Rincon 680______38.5 hp
    Suzuki KQ450__________36.7 hp
    Sportsman 500 EFI_____36.0hp
    Sportsman 500 HO______34.5hp
    Honda Rubicon_________33.9hp
    Arctic Cat 500________32.0hp
    Sportsman 450_________29.7hp
    Can-Am Outlander 400__28.9hp
    Honda Foreman 4x4_____26.9hp
    Honda Rancher 420_____26.1hp
    Yamaha Grizzly 450____26.0 hp
    Yamaha Grizzly 400____26.0 hp

G21C,
    I've owned a number of 4x4 ATVs, both with front lockers, limited slip differentials (Honda and Can Am), and Polaris AWD. It depends on what type of terrain you are riding on, but for the terrain I have to ride on frequently I think the Can Am visco lock system works very well. I even prefer it to a full locker. The terrain I am talking about is like in this picture:

The ground is pretty much covered with ball bearings, and it can be pretty tractionless if you have to climb something really steep. The visco lock seems to let the ATV roll right across the top of the ball bearings without bouncing, bucking, and chucking the rocks out from underneath it like full lockers do. Also, full lockers are open diffs when not engaged, so they don't work well when they are unengaged, but are harder to steer when they are engaged. For this type of terrain I think both the Polaris AWD system and the Can Am visco lock system work better than a full locker. And they all work better than the limited slip in a Honda
    2010 Can-Am Renegade 800R X Xc
    2009 Can-Am Renegade 800R
    2009 Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000
    2009 KTM 505 XC-F
    2009 Yamaha FZ-1

I have a polaris sportsman 500. The all wheel drive system is great, and has never given me any problems. That being said, I still think the next new machine I buy, I am going to strongly consider a CanAm because I have heard nothing but good about them, but I would ride both and see what your personal preference is.