Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 400ex trail monster mods

400ex trail monster mods

I am new to modding my quads, but i want to make my new to me 2000 400ex a trail monster. It already has a white bros pipe, dynajet kit (junk), kn filter with prefilter and lid removed, and.......elka shocks. What else should i get for it to up my performance for cheap. I am more concerned with reliability than absolute performance. I am thinking that sparks ignition key and a rev box.....but u guys know more than me. I got some money to spend and am ready to make it perform. I definately want anything that will make my throttle respond better like the 09 EFI Z400.
    Thanks guys.
    00' 400ex
    87' 250r

try the sparks key maybe the 450r carb the rev box's is a waste of money IMO unless your quads built because you stop making HP after a certain RPMs.
    QUADLESS
    2008 450r SOLD
    2004 416ex 11 to 1, stg2 cam triple rates SOLD

thanks buddy
    I am definitely looking into a 450r carb.
    The sparks key is cheap so ill get that. I got holeshot XCRs all the way around and a set of GBC X-Rex's brand new in my garage all on stock rims. PMR skids for the belly and swing.
    00' 400ex
    87' 250r

I just did these mods and its a torque monster AWSOME FOR TRAILS. Will beat any 450r stock out of the hole..

Yosh pipe full system no sprk arrestor
    hot cam stg 1
    wiseco 11:1 wiseco light weight piston
    Bored out to 416
    Light port and polish
    K&n air filter w/ pre charger, dyno jets..
    Next mod (2 months from now) 450R CARB! And she will torque even more..
    Keep stock gearing

AWSOME BUILD! And it should be reliable..

From what I hear you dont need hd studs, thought if I was you I would change my low end bearings just to be safe. Thought ask around you probably will be able to get away with it.. Make sure there is no play and mesure the end play.. Make sure its up to spec. Finally all this is not to hard to do just do it by the book and STAY ORGANIZED.

Take care

Originally posted by monkeyballs
    I just did these mods and its a torque monster AWSOME FOR TRAILS. Will beat any 450r stock out of the hole..

Yosh pipe full system no sprk arrestor
    hot cam stg 1
    wiseco 11:1 wiseco light weight piston
    Bored out to 416
    Light port and polish
    K&n air filter w/ pre charger, dyno jets..
    Next mod (2 months from now) 450R CARB! And she will torque even more..
    Keep stock gearing

AWSOME BUILD! And it should be reliable..

From what I hear you dont need hd studs, thought if I was you I would change my low end bearings just to be safe. Thought ask around you probably will be able to get away with it.. Make sure there is no play and mesure the end play.. Make sure its up to spec. Finally all this is not to hard to do just do it by the book and STAY ORGANIZED.

One last thing, dont waist your money on a rev box or a 450r carb or the sparks ignition. I am not saying those things are pointless but they are mostly ment for the end.. The carb will for sure make a big enough diff but 150.. Spend that on a new piston.. Rev box will change your timing curve but it wont give you much more power. Then sure it revs higher... But you should also spend that money on a hot cam.. lol... Then the sparks timing key is realy cheep but might not work to well with 11:1 comp.. lol I think im going 2 look into that..

Take care

Originally posted by monkeyballs
    you can get a 450r carb for like 50 or 60 if your patient. not sure it will make much difference but in the future when you go in the motor it will have a bigger effect. i have personaly never used the sparks key but from this site i have herd many good things about it and its realy cheap so you caint go wrong.

once you start going in the motor esp if your going to bump compression its going to start to cost. you shouldn't just slap a 11 to 1 piston in and call it good. you should replace the cam chain, chain tensioner, get it honed, and then probably should redo your head to. so this would not be something to do cheaply.
    QUADLESS
    2008 450r SOLD
    2004 416ex 11 to 1, stg2 cam triple rates SOLD

I'd say the sparks key would help a bit from what I've read. If your building a "monster trail" machine you "NEED" the stock lid and snorkel on the airbox. I went riding at Bear Creek close to Canton Ohio yesterday. There was one section of the trail that was flooded out 1-2ft deep about 15ft long. It was like New York city during rush hour...must have been 5 quads on the other side with the riders waving there air cleaners around to dry them out...another 5 quads stuck in the water dead...none of them had stock lids. 2 of them had the outerwears lid. Some had the k&n some the uni filter with outerwears. My ex is stock, air filter and all. I hit the water 2nd gear wide open and tore right through it no problem. Later in the day I hit another small lake that was a little over my waist with no problems either. The entire back of the bike was under the water up to about the back of the gas tank, I just motor boated across. The trails were flooded every where. After riding all day I had to pull the qork to drain the airbox about once an hour. If you want to do serious trail riding you NEED the stock lid and snorkel.
    2005 400ex bone stock bought new, Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, car shock bushings for seat grommets, custom idle adjuster(stock one broke), Custom fuel screw, and now a half moon melted into the fender from the header

not all trails are wet!
    2007 Black 400ex
    Pro Taper Mids
    DG Fat Series Skids
    GT Thunder 450r front and rear w/link
    Hipers all around with xrex rubber
    AC Blackline Nerfs
    UNI
    Sparks Key
    Mulisha Graphics
    Homemade Exhaust
    ccp stabilizer

Maybe, but I would think a "Trail Monster" should be able to handle some water. From the pile ups I seen yesterday, it doesn't take much to kill a bike with no lid... And back to the original post "I am more concerned with reliability than absolute performance." I say lid on is more reliable then no lid in all riding conditions.
    2005 400ex bone stock bought new, Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, car shock bushings for seat grommets, custom idle adjuster(stock one broke), Custom fuel screw, and now a half moon melted into the fender from the header

If your quad was up to about mid way up that gas tank your stock snorkle would had been under water as your snorkel runs under the gas tank.
    2008 TRX400EX

Some go fast parts and look cool stuff added.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast