Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine temp question

Engine temp question

06 400EX

I just installed the Air Cooled Sensor (Trailtech) I don't have a clue what these motor temps get up to. But watching the Vapor computer. The temp sitting at idle climbed to 280!!! (Farenheit) I think it would have went higher but I turned it off. Most cars would melt down at those temps. Has anybody ever measured the engine temp?

Thanks for any info.
    Dave
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Riser, Vapor Protector
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk Comp Series Nerf Bars
    Tusk Full Chassis Skid Plate
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

"Run her hard, but at the end of the day treat her like a lady!"

"Fix it right or fix it again"

Don't drink... Don't smoke... Don't do drugs... and I'm proud of it! I guess I plan on living longer than most.

I didn't even think that the air-cooled engine temp sensor for the 400ex's was out yet. It doesn't show on thier website that it's avaiable yet. Where'd you get one?

As far as the temp goes, i wouldn't be at all surprised to see it hit 300 or probably even higher, just sitting there idling. I don't think that will hurt it. And nothing on a car will melt at 300, either. The melting point of aluminum is over 1200 degrees. The reason automobiles need to keep the temp down is because of the coolant. once the coolant starts to boil around the cylinder walls, it can't conduct heat anymore, and makes the cylinder walls burn up.

back on topic, it's probably not a bad idea to shut it off if it is sitting there idling and getting that hot, but i wouldn't think you'd need to worry about any damage till well over 350 or higher.

just my $.02 though, others may not agree with me.

Remember that the temp you see in a car is the temperature of the coolant. It's not measuring the temp of the head like you're doing on the 400EX (I'm assuming this is one of those spark plug washer type sensors?).
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

Clubert, the sensor is from Trailtech. It was in develpoment for atleast 6 months that I was waiting on it.

GPracer2500, correct its the sensor that takes place of the spark plug washer.

Now I've worked on cars all my life, and have been in every tight spot installing motors, engines, etc. But there is no way to tighten the spark plug with that sensor in place. The design to me is not quite "friendly" to installation. I think the tab needs to continue further up past were the socket can turn and not hit the round body of the sensor. I installed it under the center valve cover bolt (long bolt) and ran it up the oil line with pull/ties. So it makes no contact other than at the bolt and where it plugs up. Tomorrow I will see how high the temp reaches.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

Don't drink... Don't smoke... Don't do drugs... and I'm proud of it! I guess I plan on living longer than most.

Dave,

Did you have to call them directly to order it? It's not on their website yet. I've been waiting on it for about 10 months, and have emailed them 2 or 3 times, and it hasn't been ready yet.

thanks

I called them, and kept an open email with Chris at Trailtech. Don't pay for it! If the kit should have come with it; they owe you that sensor. One lady wanted to charge me and make it ok by saying "well you got the Vapor at a discount price" Needless to say I wasn't paying for something that should have been in the kit. Chris was very helpful. (12m) was the size needed for my 400

Dave
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

how much did you pay for the kit?

The Vapor (kit) was $99.00 plus tax/shipping

Dave
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

Can anyone send me some videos on that trail-tech kit,id love to have one because don't they read rpms,temp outside,engine temp,hours deffinly would be nice especially on a rebuilt engine cause you could keep track of your hours in order to keep your oil up to par,also tells you mileage i think theirs a bunch of things that it does and i want one.Please someone send me a video of it on your quad so i could see it in action.LOWCOUNTRYDAVE IS YOURS ON A EX IF SO IS YOUR EX MODDED AND HOW FAST DID THE VAPOR SAY YOU WENT?DOES EVERRYTHING SEEM TO BE ACCUERATE?THANKS FOR ANY INFO GUYS. OH ONE MORE THING DONT YOU NEED TO BUY THE VAPOR AND A MOUNTING KIT ANY THING ELESE YOU NEED TO BUY TO RUN IT.
    (2003)426ex,edelbrock carb,maxis razors,dirt digger clutch,ported and polished,Kibblewhite valve springs and Black Diamond valves,Omf air scoops,Renthal all diamond grips hard compound,Whitebrothers E-series pipe,Hot cam stage 1,Hot Rods crank,Wiesco 11:1 piston,HD CRF timming chain,Pro Armor front bumper,Omf skid plates, K&N air fiter,Outerwears Prefilter,LA sleeve,Longhorn atv high bend big bars,AMR monster coil,08'450r heel guards & pegs,Streamline 7 way stabilizer,450r front shocks,Primary Drive gold 520 race chain,LSR 250r axle,ss front brake lines,07 sub frame, pretty much just engine work right now, top to bottom new.Would really like to convert my 03' plastics to 08' plastics.FOR SALE!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS.THANKS

Well I ran the 400ex (Idling in the backyard) I wanted to test the new air cooled sensor. I timed it and after 24 minutes the temp was 330 Degrees Farenheit. I didn't want to cause any uneccessary fatigue on the engine so I shut it off. It probably would have climbed higher I just didn't want to find out. It will be interesting after a trail ride and averaging around 18 mph to see the temp reading.

Dave
    2006 400 EX
    Trailtech 1 1/8 X-Bars
    Trailtech Vapor computer
    Tusk A-Arm Skid Plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast