Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yfz450 cornering

yfz450 cornering

how can u keep ur front end from pushing in the turns it feels like it just wants to keep going striaght and over the berms sometimes and its costing me time on the track

What i figured out is that you just have to throw a little more a ss into it if you know what i mean. Seems like you have to use the throttle to turn these quads. i'm not complaining though they arent to bad of quads. knock on wood..
    2006 Yamaha YFZ 450* nMotion full exhaust system/ Taper oversized handlebars/ UNI air filter/ AC Racing nerfs with built in heel guards/ Lonestar Racing +2 axle/ Full Flight Racing Long Travel +2 A-Arms.

1990 Ford F150- Long travel suspension and some other goodies!

1989 Ford F150 Short n' Wide- Hot little 302 in it with a 4 speed

2004 Pontiac GT0- 5.7- port and polished ls2 heads, 2002 Zo6 intake manifold, pacesetter longtube headers, hurst short throw shifter, eaton 3.91 posi, Diablo tuner....and yes its straight piped....sorry im not cool enough to waste my money on custom mufflers or canisters, whats the point when everybody always compliments on how good it sounds right?!

Special thanks to my sponsors- Amsoil, One industries, Steel Mx optics and Dragonfire racing

If you are talking about the 2009 YFZ450R, it does not corner well. There are some caster issues. As the suspension compresses, caster is added to the a-arms, which is opposite to what you want. (More caster makes the bike want to go straight).

Putting the Houser patented TRICTRAC system on this quad corrects this problem and makes a world of difference. It will corner & the arm pump is reduced.

Anyone having this bike will be fighting the front end without knowing why. The GNCC Yamaha team, Ballance, Cecco, Sommers, Ockerman, & Gallager(next race), switched to this & raced it at round #5 Loretta Lynn's. Two first places & a second.

We are making an upper a-arm with TRICTRAC/SLICAST to replace the OEM a-arm. Will be available first week in May.

i was reffering to the older yfzs

Reducing the caster will help it corner, but make it a little more twitchy on straight lines. Reduce caster by moving the top ball joint forward, if you have a-arms that allow you to do this.

Originally posted by John Houser
    Reducing the caster will help it corner, but make it a little more twitchy on straight lines. Reduce caster by moving the top ball joint forward, if you have a-arms that allow you to do this.
    yes i have JB a-arms long travels, are you saying to make the wheel lean out more or lean in more

Having the top of the wheels lean in or out is camber. For MX about 3 degrees of camber seems to be about right. If you do not have a digital level, use a carpenders square & have the top of the wheel tllted in 5/8" t0 3/4" on each side.

Caster is the relationship between the top ball joint & the bottom ball joint as you are lookinh at the quad from the side. With our SLICAST caster adjustment system, you would just adjust it 1 click at a time. You should contact JB & see how to adjust those a-arms. If they have the heim joints, you adjust them.

depends now

front end pushing with little load on the front springs

then increase the spring tension on the back and decresse the compression setting on the front shocks

now if the front end is pushing with a heavy load on the front do the opposite

there is also the pin it and slide your but method in that case most yfz work awsome
    JT EXTREME MACHINE
    DASSEL MN

Originally posted by Titanium
    What i figured out is that you just have to throw a little more a ss into it if you know what i mean.
    Quad Janern #77 | Frez Productions
    2007 Honda Cr250
    1986 Honda Trx250R

I've been having the same problems on my yfz as well. Im running ars/fx with axis front shocks and gtt rear. I cant corner near as well as it should. I also roll and really have a bad problem 2 wheeling. My front end is not caster adjustable and Im running 5/8" camber. Just cant figure it out, just thought it was me a first until I rode other machine and realized how much better they can turn.

Im going to try and adjust my crossovers and maybe try different ride heights from front to back.
    OXC#199

07 yfz450

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast