Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jetting help

I'm just going to bump this to the top until it stays there.

Great write up. It makes me want to go out and re-jet right now. Nice work ZR.
    CRASH COUNTER -- 7

'05 400ex
    Yoshimura __ Houser Long Travel +1 __ Elka Elite Quad Rate __ IMS Roll __ Pro Taper SE __ SLC Quad Customs +2 Swinger __ 450R carb __ Maiers __ GenX Atv __ K&N __ Outerwear __ UM __ Renthal __ Skat Trak Haulers __ T-9 Bajas w/ Razrs __ Blingstar John Natalie Victory __ Pro Armor __ Big Gun Rev box __

Mission accomplished. Now if someone would sticky my 450R brake upgrade thread, I'd be tickled.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

good info here...tore into my carb over the weekend, turns out i still have the stock jets. anyone want to help me get to a good starting point?

i have:
    400ex (440 kit)
    stock ex carb
    full exhaust
    K&N cone, outwears airbox lid
    93 octane gas

i am in the mid atlantic, near sea level. i run mostly on trails.
    2002 yellow Honda 400ex
    motor specs:
    -440 stroker kit -Trinity StageIV full exhaust -CDI box -170/42 jets -K&N air filter/airbox mod -Outerwears lid

frame/suspension:
    -FullFlight +2 black a arms -450r shocks -DG front bumper -AC Racing nerfbars -AC Racing skidplate -Armadillo swingarm skidplate -Maier black plastics -Renthal bars -PowerMadd brushgards -gripper seat

wheels/tires:
    -ITP Pro T-9 black wheels -IPT Holeshot GNCC front/rear tires

Whats up guys need some help. I have HMF Slip on, uni filter no box, hot cams stage 2 and a 450r carb. I am at sea level. I have a 42 pilot and 172 main it pops on decel ans is a little white? I was thinking 178? I also need help with my needle and an explanation on where in the power band and the needle jet plays a roll?
    Turbo Lag = 4 Play
    Ben. S
    Built Grand cherokee on 35's
    95' Talon FWd > KaBoom!!!
    90' GSX new project

Popping on decel indicates a lean pilot circut. Install a 45 or 48 pilot and leave the 172 in place for now.

The needle affects 1/4-3/4 throttle position. I tune the needle on my machine by riding at half throttle for awhile.

Read page 1 of this thread for a good chart of every circuit and their role.

KrackerG--
    Start at a 42 pilot, 4th notch from the top
    on needle and 172-175 main.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Agreed....GREAT write-up!!!

I've got a pretty much stock 400EX but I just installed the K&N air filter and an HMF slip-on. The place that sold me the air-filter & exhaust also sent me a new jet, a 152 The guy assured me it was tested and it's proper...so I hope so. I'll give it a try later when I get a new front tire and can head out again.

Question, something many people would likely want to know. I used a write-up on this forum to do the re-jetting...it had 20+ steps involving removing the seat, gas tank, front fenders, air-box, etc, etc. Did I REALLY have to do all that just to change the main jet? A few people told me I should be able to loosen the band clamps fore & aft the carb and just turn it sideways enough to loosen the 17mm drain bolt and access/change the main jet from there.....is this true or is all that disassembly/reassembly required? Short-cuts appreciated

You CAN rotate the carb to get to the main jet without removing fenders and tank, but it gets a little cramped. Removing that stuff only takes a few minutes.

If you need to replace or adjust the needle, you need the carb off.
    Ragin' Redneck

'07 400EX
    iShock 3500 +2 A-Arms (Just added!!!)
    DG X2 Slip-on,
    Moose CDI,
    K&N Air Filter (With Cover)
    Pro Armor Nerfs with Heel Guards
    DG Racing Baja Dull Skid Plate

"When you are tough on yourself, life is going to be infinitely easier on you." -Unknown-

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -Winston Churchill-

Originally posted by RaginRedneck
    You CAN rotate the carb to get to the main jet without removing fenders and tank, but it gets a little cramped. Removing that stuff only takes a few minutes.
    I dunno.....the seat, the tank, the fenders, air-box....took me a while, BUT that was the first time I did it. I think you're right, I could probably do the whole thing all over again in a matter or 10 minutes...now that I know exactly where everything goes and how it goes together.

I had one nasty problem. When I went to remove the band clamp between the carb and intake maifold, the phillip's head just stripped....maybe they lock-tite'd it at the factory. I had to take a drill and drill-out the head until the band popped. Luckily, I had a bolt with the right length & thread to replace it. It's always nice when things disassemble and reassemble nicely...but there's always a few challenges along the way. Very rewarding and fun when it all works together...extremely frustrating when it doesn't. But you know the saying: nothing in life that's worth having comes easily.

I hope changing the get from 148 to 152 is all it'll take to dial a stock 400Ex back to "tune" after adding an HMF exhaust and K&N air-filter.

You should be close with that setup. I didn't remove my airbox to get the carb out.

Additionally, A little time saving technique was after I put the jet in I just reinstalled the fuel tank and carb. I left the fenders and seat off and did my hot laps that way to check the plug. Luckily I nailed the jet size and just had to screw with the air screw to get it dialed in.

Good luck.
    Ragin' Redneck

'07 400EX
    iShock 3500 +2 A-Arms (Just added!!!)
    DG X2 Slip-on,
    Moose CDI,
    K&N Air Filter (With Cover)
    Pro Armor Nerfs with Heel Guards
    DG Racing Baja Dull Skid Plate

"When you are tough on yourself, life is going to be infinitely easier on you." -Unknown-

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -Winston Churchill-

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast