Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: yfz 450 shock installation

i know its not a 400ex but i installed yfz shocks on my 250R with +3 arms and WOW, awesome upgrade from stock.

Bought my shocks already milled on top
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 250R
    07 250EX -the ol ladys
    83 ATC70
    01 duramax
    90 Saleen

Originally posted by ae13291
    you make no sense the yfz shocks are good, longer arms would be more harsh on the shocks and be more prone to bottoming out but the yfz450 already has a pretty good length front a arm, so these shocks can handle it easy.

Well once I went to +3's the shocks where to soft for how I ride. From the extra leverage of the longer A-arms the ride high dropped 2". If I set the pre load rings to the top it would sit so low that the A-arms would be level with the frame.

yes!!!i finally got to go riding today!i set the preload all the way down so now there just a little lower than stock.riding is so much better with these shocks.they work great!definatly one of the best things i have done so far to my quad
    fan cooled 416
    Je10:8:1Piston-HotRodsRod-Crf450TimingChain-KibblewhiteValves/Springs-HotCamsStage2-CometicGaskets-GttStuds-HMF Slip-on/GrindedHeaderWelds-WbRevBox-

PRM Skids-Pro Armour Nerfs-Pro Design Tether-UNI filter-YFZ450 Shocks up front-Race Tech revalved Zps Dual Rate in back

Rear:kenda knarleys
    Front:kenda KLaw xc
    On DouglasQuadRoks

by grinding down the top bolt holes doesnt weaken the shock does it?
    02 400ex, fmf powercore4, k&n w/outerwear, 450r carb, yfz 450 shocks, cut front plastics, tag t2's, works clutch lever, spyder grips. sparks timing key

1998 f 150 lifted 7.5 on 35s

I ride fast trails and race xc, would this be a good investment for me to put into my 400?
    02 400ex
    HMF
    MAXXIS
    RENTHAL
    AC PRO-PEGS

Originally posted by F-16Guy
    Someone should fab up an upper mount adapter that slides into the original shock mount and clamps to the frame tube. It would lower the shock and raise the ride height probably 1.5", and you could make it wider so that you wouldn't have to modify the shock to make it fit. Something like this:
    Yea but lowering it a bit is good. My ground clearance is at about 7.5" at the pegs and thats for trails, for mx in should sit even lower. So the yfz shocks lowering it a bit is a good thing. It will make it corner a lot better.
    05' fan cooled 416ex, zrpilot's motor, GT Thunder 10.8:1 piston, GT Thunder HD headstuds, HD cam chain, HRC cam, GT Thunder 8 plate clutch, GT Thunder XC Port & Polish, GT Thunder XC CDI, terry cable throttle, 450r carb(48 pilot, needle 3rd from the top 178 main), white brothers e series pro-meg muffler, white brothers header,UNI, aluminum air box no lid, galfer ss brakes lines, houser +2 arms, TCS dual rate shocks with rezzies, lonstar +2 swingarm and +4 axle, LSR billet sprocket hub, tag fat bars, maier race plastics, kenda knarly mxr 18s kenda klaw mxf 20x6, spal 4" puller fan, 14/36 gearing and ..... Dual rate Axis rear shock, AMR monster coil, roll design +2 steering stem

06' CC F-250 Diesel FX4 6" lift 20x12 welds 35x13.50 mickey thompson's 4" TB exhaust no cat 2 jl 10"

yeah i had stock 400ex shocks and could comfortably go through the trails at florence sand dunes in oregon in 2nd and 3rd now with my yfz shocks my bike just is all around better in the trails im pinned in 3rd and 4th most of the time over the whoops and taking corners i just drop down into third and mob. its such a great investment. best investment i've done to my bike other than the sparks timing key.
    02 400ex, fmf powercore4, k&n w/outerwear, 450r carb, yfz 450 shocks, cut front plastics, tag t2's, works clutch lever, spyder grips. sparks timing key

1998 f 150 lifted 7.5 on 35s

Originally posted by v0lcom13sn0w
    by grinding down the top bolt holes doesnt weaken the shock does it?
    im sure it does a little bit but it still seems alot sturdier than the stock one with the top piece welded on
    fan cooled 416
    Je10:8:1Piston-HotRodsRod-Crf450TimingChain-KibblewhiteValves/Springs-HotCamsStage2-CometicGaskets-GttStuds-HMF Slip-on/GrindedHeaderWelds-WbRevBox-

PRM Skids-Pro Armour Nerfs-Pro Design Tether-UNI filter-YFZ450 Shocks up front-Race Tech revalved Zps Dual Rate in back

Rear:kenda knarleys
    Front:kenda KLaw xc
    On DouglasQuadRoks

I found some shocks that have been rebuilt by Gtthunder, would these still work? I reall do not to lower it a lot, just a little.
    02 400ex
    HMF
    MAXXIS
    RENTHAL
    AC PRO-PEGS

Originally posted by rob_990
    im sure it does a little bit but it still looks alot sturdier than the stock one with the top piece welded on
    Well grinding down will make the yfz shock mount weaker but it would not be any weaker than the stock 400ex shock.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast