Thread: yfz 450 shock installation

Originally posted by crxjarred
    has anybody ever instaled the kfx450 shocks on a 400ex
    yes
    PM rcatvrider
    Chris
    2007 406ex, Elka/HDusa/Moose/LSR

Originally posted by HalfAquad
    There way better than stock. You can adj them to be rock hard or adj them to be soft where you get to much body roll in the turns.

A 400ex with yfz450 shocks vs a 400ex with 450r shocks, the yfz450 shocked 400ex is going to handle the jumps and turns way better. With MX tires I had my ex dropped to about 6" for mx.
    alot of people say the 450r shocks are a bit too stiff, and since the 450r and 400ex have similar front ends, i think it would also be stiff on the 400ex
    02 400ex
    04 yfz450

yea i heard they are really stiff unless you get them revalved/resprung and they also raise the ride height.that is why i went with the yfz shocks and there alot cheaper than the 450r ones.
    fan cooled 416
    Je10:8:1Piston-HotRodsRod-Crf450TimingChain-KibblewhiteValves/Springs-HotCamsStage2-CometicGaskets-GttStuds-HMF Slip-on/GrindedHeaderWelds-WbRevBox-

PRM Skids-Pro Armour Nerfs-Pro Design Tether-UNI filter-YFZ450 Shocks up front-Race Tech revalved Zps Dual Rate in back

Rear:kenda knarleys
    Front:kenda KLaw xc
    On DouglasQuadRoks

i did the same thing over the winter:

soooo much better than stock. like night and day.
    Thanks in 2013 to: DIRT FIEND RACING/O'NEAL/SPY OPTIC/YOSHIMURA/DWT/PRO ARMOR/LEATT/FACTORY BACKING
    May '12 QOTM
    Hookit.com

Someone should fab up an upper mount adapter that slides into the original shock mount and clamps to the frame tube. It would lower the shock and raise the ride height probably 1.5", and you could make it wider so that you wouldn't have to modify the shock to make it fit. Something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

yea that would save alot of work.i dont know how strong id be though.

bbender85 are those stock aarms?
    fan cooled 416
    Je10:8:1Piston-HotRodsRod-Crf450TimingChain-KibblewhiteValves/Springs-HotCamsStage2-CometicGaskets-GttStuds-HMF Slip-on/GrindedHeaderWelds-WbRevBox-

PRM Skids-Pro Armour Nerfs-Pro Design Tether-UNI filter-YFZ450 Shocks up front-Race Tech revalved Zps Dual Rate in back

Rear:kenda knarleys
    Front:kenda KLaw xc
    On DouglasQuadRoks

Originally posted by rob_990
    yea that would save alot of work.i dont know how strong id be though.

bbender85 are those stock aarms?
    Them are longer A-arms.

With stock A-arms the yfz shocks are good. After I went to +3 on the 400ex the shocks where 100% total crap. Use yfz450 shocks with stock A-arms ONLY. If you want to go mx wide do it the right way with good arms and shocks. If you go extended A-arms and use yfz or 450r shocks you mise as well also run cut shock coils and run wheel spacers because it will be a total crap set up any ways and will do nothing more than make you look like a race quad when it realy handles like a total pos.

If you go extended A-arms and use yfz or 450r shocks you mise as well also run cut shock coils and run wheel spacers because it will be a total crap set up any ways and will do nothing more than make you look like a race quad when it realy handles like a total pos.
    hmm. i must have magic YFZ shocks cuz mine is 200% better than it was stock.
    Thanks in 2013 to: DIRT FIEND RACING/O'NEAL/SPY OPTIC/YOSHIMURA/DWT/PRO ARMOR/LEATT/FACTORY BACKING
    May '12 QOTM
    Hookit.com

Originally posted by F-16Guy
    Someone should fab up an upper mount adapter that slides into the original shock mount and clamps to the frame tube. It would lower the shock and raise the ride height probably 1.5", and you could make it wider so that you wouldn't have to modify the shock to make it fit. Something like this:
    that would be a great idea, but like said b4 i dont know if it would be strong enough, maybe it is possible to make it strong? but the most important, would the suspention geometry work the same? the shocks may be a bit to angled
    02 400ex
    04 yfz450

Originally posted by HalfAquad
    Them are longer A-arms.

With stock A-arms the yfz shocks are good. After I went to +3 on the 400ex the shocks where 100% total crap. Use yfz450 shocks with stock A-arms ONLY. If you want to go mx wide do it the right way with good arms and shocks. If you go extended A-arms and use yfz or 450r shocks you mise as well also run cut shock coils and run wheel spacers because it will be a total crap set up any ways and will do nothing more than make you look like a race quad when it realy handles like a total pos.
    you make no sense the yfz shocks are good, longer arms would be more harsh on the shocks and be more prone to bottoming out but the yfz450 already has a pretty good length front a arm, so these shocks can handle it easy.
    02 400ex
    04 yfz450

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast