Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanding aluminum

sanding aluminum

remember awhile back i asked if you could sand aluminum
    and if it would rust or not? i was thinking about painting it..
    well the other day i got bored and went at it-
    i got some fine grit papper in a long roll- tore o off about 2 1/2 foot and pulled it back and forth around the bars of my bumper nerfs and grab bar- .. then got an electric sander nd went to town.
    the nerfs on the outside edge were scratched the front had little nics all in it,, and the grab bar was wasted- but all three are as smooth as a babbies- (*cough*)-hey leo-
    the grab bar is what i'm happy about most though- it was all scratched from where i first learned how to walk it- but now it looks as if it's never touched the ground- ____smooth____
    it was dull before now it's shiney- did one half first and compaired side- looks good man- if your loomy's not chrome
    do it man- it's not going to hurt it and it'll look 10 times better

decided not to paint
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

i just installed durablue front spacers... while everything was off... I sanded my spindles and calipers.... then polished them.... they are to a "chrome" mirror finish now- they look bad a#@!!
    '01 Yellow 400ex-
    22" Spider Tracs rear, 23" bandit XCRs front , DuraBlue front spacers, Shockcovers, Renthal bars/pad, scott grips, 13T (F)sprocket, PRO MOTION twist throttle, vented airbox, Yoshimura Race series pipe/header, swingarm skidplate, F.T.M headlight cover, block off plate, white brothers graphics/seat cover

In the works: Lots of polishing, Powdercoated (frame, a-arms,swing arm), Aluminum airbox, polsihed wheels, custom front mount tool box

Plans: K&N, jet kit, AC propegs, front/rear bumpers, WB rev box, frame/ A-arm skids

'90 Red TRX200sx...farm beater
    moose bars, hitch, rear rack, titan trekker tires -

My quad is stripped down for the winter, i guess ill have to try this. I want it to look as trick as possible.
    Clay Rhye #417
    Sponsored By: Taylors Tuning [(270)-797-2444]

86' 265R (Gone, but not forgotten)

My Photo Albums
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/crhye250r

rule of thumb: if a magnet sticks to it, its steel and will rust, and if u sand it, put a clear coat of paint.

If no magnet stickage, its aluminum and it won't rust
    Max
    2000 400EX
    FLY Billit Clutch Assembly, Black Pro Design Kill Switch, AC pro Peg Nerfs with Black Nets, AC Racing Mudscreen Bumper, LSR E-Brake Block Off, White Bro's Sintered Brake Pads, Razr Rear 4-Ply's, Talon 14 tooth, No Air-Box Lid, Pre-Filter, Spray Paint Lid Snorkle Block Off, Hetrick Full Racing Exhaust, No Choke, 165 Main, 45 Pilot, Lowered needle 1 clip(100 Ft Elevation)

My Site

talk to me on AOL IM: maxt 45

Lightbulb

Could somone please post some pics of this, and some techniques? (grits of sandpaper, wet/dry, etc etc.) thanx alot.
    Clay Rhye #417
    Sponsored By: Taylors Tuning [(270)-797-2444]

86' 265R (Gone, but not forgotten)

My Photo Albums
    http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/crhye250r

I never sanded aluminum But i do use my dads buffer and just polish it, alot easier i would think.

Originally posted by crhye250r
    Could somone please post some pics of this, and some techniques? (grits of sandpaper, wet/dry, etc etc.) thanx alot.
    use a medium grade for the rough stuff then a fine grade.then use a brillo pad until it starts to shine then polishing away for a chrome-like finish.i don't remembet the actual of grade i used the first time but i ended up using those foam sanding pads(blocks) and got the same results and they were alot easier to use than paper.they are definitely less torture on the fingers too.you can get them at wal mart.

It depends how rough the aluminum is to start with. The more rough it is the lower grit(60+) to start with... then go to around 150-.. sand smooth, then to around 400- sand smooth..
    The 1000-1500- once its super smooth... buff with an aluminum polish and or rouge.
    there is an awesome polishing sight on of my friends has on-line... i have to find it- ill post
    '01 Yellow 400ex-
    22" Spider Tracs rear, 23" bandit XCRs front , DuraBlue front spacers, Shockcovers, Renthal bars/pad, scott grips, 13T (F)sprocket, PRO MOTION twist throttle, vented airbox, Yoshimura Race series pipe/header, swingarm skidplate, F.T.M headlight cover, block off plate, white brothers graphics/seat cover

In the works: Lots of polishing, Powdercoated (frame, a-arms,swing arm), Aluminum airbox, polsihed wheels, custom front mount tool box

Plans: K&N, jet kit, AC propegs, front/rear bumpers, WB rev box, frame/ A-arm skids

'90 Red TRX200sx...farm beater
    moose bars, hitch, rear rack, titan trekker tires -

what else could use some touching up

i'm always looking ,adding ,,taking away,, stuff on my bike
    to make it look better-

what else could i do to make it a little shineyer- from stock parts i mean- what about that ugly (edit) headpipe that came with that d.g.- it's all rusted up looks horible-
    is there no chamging that fact- i hit it too when i sanded the rest of the stuff from the first post- but you know it still looks like pooh- anything i can do to change that??
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

well about your headpipe. I would get some silver or black high temp. exhaust or grill paint. it would look nice i would think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast