Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My SPAL Fan Install...LOTS of pics

i put 3 of the small ones (80x20MM) on mine. 2 on the front, on each side of the steering stem pushing and one in the middle on the back pulling. there was hardly any air flow. they dont work well when the fans are mounted up against some thing so i took them all off and got one bigger hi performance fan. you can try it if your bored one day but it barely produced a slight breeze while the bigger one makes a tornado !!!

here is the switch i put on hows it look it was off an old computer

Be fast or Be last
    2009 KTM 525 XC

highly modded 2001 460ex almost done (back up bike)

k guys heres some more stuff i got done like i got the switch on prev pic, i got a fuyse box i had off my old battery relay i am gonna use like nacs did as you can see the black wire on there is gonna run from the fuse box to the switch then then i am gonna run the littl wire on the fan to the other prong on the switch. Then the 2 other negative wires i am gonna splice them together then splice that with another black wire i have and run that to the positve on the battery. and then the wire on the other side of the fusebox to the battery then it's done thats nacs for the pics to they helped out alot

Be fast or Be last
    2009 KTM 525 XC

highly modded 2001 460ex almost done (back up bike)

Thanks for the writeup, I'm going to get one for my 400ex.

That is the same fan that KTM sells in their fan kit for the water cooled KTM bikes. It is a good choice, have not heard of any issues with them off road and lots of folks in the KTM community use them. I have one on my 450excr and it really helps on nasty/slow trails where you cannot get much airflow through the rads.

On a water cooled setup you can use a temp switch plumbed into the rad hose and it works well, reacting quickly to rising and falling temps. I'm going to look into a similar setup to switch based on oil temp, if I can get something working well I will post back here. The setup with a temp sensor on the head looks good as well and I will use that if I cannot find a decent way to sense oil temp directly.

just curious, how many amps can safely be drawn for a fan? i found a 5.2 inch fan that im thinking about putting on my FST cooler that moves about 283 cfm and draws 1.9 amps.. any ideas?
    ~Mike~
    2000 Honda 416EX

Originally posted by Pipeless416
    just curious, how many amps can safely be drawn for a fan? i found a 5.2 inch fan that im thinking about putting on my FST cooler that moves about 283 cfm and draws 1.9 amps.. any ideas?
    Not sure what exactly the limit is, but there is some "gimme" with the stock stator output.

283 cfm is some serious airflow...that's over double what the 4" SPAL moves

1.9 amps is the same as what the SPAL fan draws, and is no problem for the stock stator. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. You'd have one efficient setup mounting it to the FST cooler
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

Originally posted by richards
    Thanks for the writeup, I'm going to get one for my 400ex.

That is the same fan that KTM sells in their fan kit for the water cooled KTM bikes. It is a good choice, have not heard of any issues with them off road and lots of folks in the KTM community use them. I have one on my 450excr and it really helps on nasty/slow trails where you cannot get much airflow through the rads.

On a water cooled setup you can use a temp switch plumbed into the rad hose and it works well, reacting quickly to rising and falling temps. I'm going to look into a similar setup to switch based on oil temp, if I can get something working well I will post back here. The setup with a temp sensor on the head looks good as well and I will use that if I cannot find a decent way to sense oil temp directly.
    Thanks for the info. Post your progress if you can. Glad this sparked some new ideas in you guys...
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

Originally posted by NacsMXer
    Not sure what exactly the limit is, but there is some "gimme" with the stock stator output.

283 cfm is some serious airflow...that's over double what the 4" SPAL moves

1.9 amps is the same as what the SPAL fan draws, and is no problem for the stock stator. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. You'd have one efficient setup mounting it to the FST cooler
    just realized it was a "pusher" spal fan.. figures.. it was only $32 shipped haha.
    ~Mike~
    2000 Honda 416EX

you can use a pusher fan, just reverse the wire hook up to turn it into a puller. pos is neg and neg to pos.

Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
    you can use a pusher fan, just reverse the wire hook up to turn it into a puller. pos is neg and neg to pos.
    oh dur. thats how much i have retained from the two strictly electrical based classes ive had
    ~Mike~
    2000 Honda 416EX

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast