Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My SPAL Fan Install...LOTS of pics

very nice, maybe we can get it to be a sticky or a how to also. Very clean and will work well for you. you will never have cooling issues again with that setup. steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

wow that is a good set up! i dident know they sell that cooler, im still working on intalling my hyabusa oil cooler, but the hyabusa one is a tad bit bigger.
    02 400ex
    04 yfz450

Sweet thread! Thanks for the write up
    It sucks watching everyone else ride.....

ok so you have to manualy turn it on and off would it be bad to run this all the time like have the fan kick on as soon as you turn the key would this keep it too cool or is that posibal and would there be any problem going into mud or water good wright up thanks
    02 400ex
    k&n filer with outerwheres
    ac nerf bars
    choke removed
    parking break removed
    spark boot mod

Originally posted by crxjarred
    ok so you have to manualy turn it on and off would it be bad to run this all the time like have the fan kick on as soon as you turn the key would this keep it too cool or is that posibal and would there be any problem going into mud or water good wright up thanks
    It's nice to have the fan on a switch so that you have the option of not running it all the time. This allows you to warm up a cold motor faster (without a running fan counteracting that), and allows the fan to be turned off when needed such as if you are doing some high speed runs (enough airflow will be going across the cooler if you are going this fast). You can always splice into your ignition wires so that it runs all the time whenever the key switch is on, but you won't have a choice to turn if off if you want to unless you kill the engine. And this SPAL fan was specifically designed for use off road, so it is fully sealed and waterproof. You need not worry about getting dirt or water into it.

Oh, and sc400ex_rider, the CF air scoops are from Quad Tech....and unfortunately they don't offer them anymore, much like most of their cool stuff they used to make

It's cool this got stickied, thanks to the mod that got that done Glad you guys found it helpful.

Seemed like it would help out someone that wanted to retrofit a bigger oil cooler, like the hayabusa cooler ae13291 mentioned. If you have a stock oil cooler, the install is much simpler, as you do not need to fab up extension brackets. The existing mounting holes on the fan stick out above/below the stock cooler just fine.

I took the plunge and got a XR's only temp dipstick on the way...i'll be sure to report the difference in temps when I can.

Definitely recommend this SPAL fan mod for anyone with a 400EX, snatch one up for 30 bucks new on Ebay like I did while you still can!
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

I need to write this up but heres a good way i did...

I dont have a headlight, so I just sliced the purple wire going into the headlight harness. I also sliced the green wire, which is the ground and wired it in that way. If you dont have a headlight its a easy way and dont have to run a toggle. Even if you have a headlight, you can wire to your switch. Just wire into the purple or grey wire for power. Of course you will lose your option for your reg or bright lights. (whichever you prefer)

I did mine by just running the wires off the fan straight to the battery pos and neg terminals, i wired a toggle in between that so i cant flick it on whenever i want. I mounted the fan with zip ties, they hold it tight and they dont block any air. Unfortunatley when i bought my fan they were $60, so if you can find it on ebay for $30 jump on it Great write up, im glad this got stickied people are always asking about it, NacsMXer you surely did a nice clean install.
    05' fan cooled 416ex, zrpilot's motor, GT Thunder 10.8:1 piston, GT Thunder HD headstuds, HD cam chain, HRC cam, GT Thunder 8 plate clutch, GT Thunder XC Port & Polish, GT Thunder XC CDI, terry cable throttle, 450r carb(48 pilot, needle 3rd from the top 178 main), white brothers e series pro-meg muffler, white brothers header,UNI, aluminum air box no lid, galfer ss brakes lines, houser +2 arms, TCS dual rate shocks with rezzies, lonstar +2 swingarm and +4 axle, LSR billet sprocket hub, tag fat bars, maier race plastics, kenda knarly mxr 18s kenda klaw mxf 20x6, spal 4" puller fan, 14/36 gearing and ..... Dual rate Axis rear shock, AMR monster coil, roll design +2 steering stem

06' CC F-250 Diesel FX4 6" lift 20x12 welds 35x13.50 mickey thompson's 4" TB exhaust no cat 2 jl 10"

If I ever do this mod, I'm doing it slightly differently. I would buy a temp switch for the oil tank. You can set the switch so that at a certain temperature it kicks on automatically and stays on until the temp goes back down.
    I would just have to find a way to mount the sensor so it touches the oil and what running temperature is.

But sweet write up and you did a REALLY clean install

Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
    this is the temp switch its rated at 180*F I got this one out of an electric fan install kit for a car. the threaded part you push into the radiator fins. if you search the web im sure you can find one. or call any major auto electric fan company and tell them you need a 180*F thermoswitch.

i had the sensor pushed into the oil cooler but it didnt work to well. by the time the oil/cooler and sensor got to 180F it was all ready too hot. so i mounted the sensor directly to the head with a good chunk of alluminum. see how i drilled a hole and have the round post going into the tab for maxx heat transfer. this system works really well mounted to the head. the fan will come on after about 5 min of riding (not WFO) and will go off after about 5 mins of being turned off. i was worried about it running to long and killing the battery. im sure this could be further tuned by the thickness of the mounting plate. (a thinner plate would prob cycle on/off faster).

this is the fan i used, i blew my rear shock so i didnt have $60 for a spal i got this one for $10 shipped from ebay. the specs are great 92MM x 38MM (3.75"x1.80") 111cfm 1.1 amp draw 5500 rpm ect. its not waterproof so i dreanched the insides with waterproofing sillicon spray. im not sure how long it will last. i did research on watercooled pc fans and alot of them are "enviromentily coated". i dont ride deep mud or water and after washing it i let it warm up and let the fan kick on for a minute. this fan throws alot of air at the motor and is not to loud. it fit very well with no hacking. this pic is compaired to a reg 80mmx20mm pc powersupply fan. it is very powerfull if you hook power up to it on the bench it WILL start to take off!! if it catches your finger while your trying to stop it, your finger will hurt for 2 hours. im going to mount the fan better than zip ties, this is just a prototype/proof of concept. TY

NEW DELL POWEREDGE SERVER FAN 92mm 38mm VA350DC 110CFM
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=008
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger
    Pro-flo stainless steel oil filter
    spark plug resistor mod
    450r front shocks yfz450 springs
    yfz450 brake pads
    steel braided brake lines frt & rr
    450r bumper
    Pro design shifter
    Hinson rear brake lever
    drilled airbox snorkle removed
    Moose ebrake plate
    Renthal bars
    Moose levers

hey would i feel a difference if i put a fan on my stock oil cooler? here is 2 i got

Be fast or Be last
    2009 KTM 525 XC

highly modded 2001 460ex almost done (back up bike)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast