Thread: polaris ranger 500

polaris ranger 500

hey guys, I'm curious about making more power...

I have an 05' ranger 500, I use it mainly around my farm for work, but also take it out to the desert with all my buddies, and I just want MORE power...

anyway, from what I understand the sportsman atv's and the rangers are the same exact motor/ computer setup.

What I would really like is a 700cc or higher swap...so if anyone is selling a motor please PM me.

Also, I had heard that the 500 H.O. cam will swap directly into my engine and make a little more power, plus it won't be as costly...does anyone know the power difference between the regular 500 and the H.O. ??

thanks for any help...i appreciate it.

The first 500's were non H.O. motors. Cams had less lift and duration, and used a 34mm Mikuni carb. They left the motor alone and placed it into the Magnum 500. Polaris then gave it a better cam, flow, and larger 40mm Mikuni, and named it the H.O. and it developed 20% more power, polaris placed it in the Sportsman, and also gave it to the Scrambler to help it in sales against it's own 400 2 stroke.

The 1997 500 was the oddball . The 1998 500 was the first year with the new HO motor. They may have put a mixture of engines in different models and I am not sure how to tell on a sportsman if it is an HO or NON HO. It probably says on the quad somewhere.

Dont look at just the motor for power, there is a lot to be gained just in the clutches!

There are some aftermarket cams that wake up the 500 nicely.
    www.gen3usa.com

what cams would you suggest? I haven't been able to find anything except for crap like steering wheels and other stuff...

thanks for the info...

www.gen3usa.com

thanks a lot. If you have ANY other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

I just want reliable power...

thanks again.