Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 GNCC Racing - Round 1 - River Ranch - ATV Race Coverage

2009 GNCC Racing - Round 1 - River Ranch - ATV Race Coverage

The start of the 2009 season would, as always, be heading south to sunny Florida to kick off the season. This years event would be held at the scenic River Ranch facility near Lake Wales.

This area is one full of nature and diveristy as the wildlife flourishes in the marshes that surround the ranch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Gators would be one of many species those walking the track would need to be looking for, as the toothy reptiles are just about everywhere here, Most everyone had a story to share of seeing something as they went about their days at the ranch

There are literally hundreds of birds in this region, however the sight of an American Bald Eagle is always inspiring. There were a few at the ranch that were reported to me but with our shooting schedule I was unable to go seek them out.

With the backdrop of the season opener set against such a mysterious and exciting landscape, this looked to be one of the best first rounds of the past few years. Horseback riding, a rodeo, a saloon,chartered fishing trips, airboat tours and much much more to do for everyone, I sure am hoping that the GNCC Series has found a home for many seasons to come here at River Ranch

Arriving at the facility saturday morning, I found everyone busy as bee's working on last minute items and setting up thier pit areas.

For Jennifer Albright, this would be a home town track as she is a Florida native and resides about an hour from this years location. Albright seemed to have a different perspective about her upcoming season as we chatted during a quick photoshoot.

"I think I just want to have fun and work more towards running my own race" stated Albright. "I know I can win, I just need to do my own thing and not worry about anyone else. This being my home area, I feel I can run upfront" stated Jennifer.

She seemed pretty laid back and pretty confident from what I could tell and I had a feeling that getting some pre-race shots of her would pay off.

Youth racer Charlie Welch is a terror on his mini race quad and is sure developing into one talented rider. The entire Welch crew will be at round #2, where his younger sister Sadie will gear up and join the series for another year of mini racing action!

Charlie might be a ham in front of the camera, but he is all business when the throttle rolls on! I enjoy working with these little guys and gals so much, I just wish there was more time at the races to hear thier stories not only of the racing action, but in general. We have a group of kids in this series that are hard working and respectful and it is a valuable asset in my opinion as these kids will one day grace our pro ranks.

For some, the mini quad days are now but a memory. Racers like Mathew Harris and others will be making the step up to the big quads as the season moves forward.

One of the biggest things I have been hearing and seeing the past two seasons is how now, you had best have everything in order well before the season starts and I am not talking just about the machine.

Being in top physical form is now paramount in most classes and in Pro and Pro AM it is mandatory. A good training program and in many cases, a trainer are all part of the program for these guys. Eric Hoyland had put in his time during the off season and is looking forward to a solid season. Training and mental preparidness have been his best friends for the past few months and he is hoping it pays off.

The unsung heroes of our series are the many people behind the scenes that support the racers. Most of the time that means family and what they do by giving time, money and sacrifice is what keeps many on the seat in this series. Eric is fortunate enough to have two wonderful parents that back him 100% in every way they can. Family should be first and foremost for everyone, but when it comes to racing, it helps hold together that bond that many loose as we all grow up and apart. It does me good to see families working together, both in bad times and good. One may never become the next Bill Ballance, but in years to come, they can look back and be proud that no matter what the results show, they did it all together.

Hoyland will be one of the racers we follow all season long so we wish him the best of luck in all his endeavors!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast