Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what oil to use?

Nice post SCUZZ! I do agree with what is stated here but there is one thing that always bothers me when choosing oil. The information is very hard to obtain by a consumer(except the API rating). I wish the companys would make this information more available on a web sight or something. Amsoil does!. You know, for a couple of years now I have heard people say that they have had zero issues with Rotella oil, but these seem to be the same people that are having overheating issues and have put in a clutch or two. HUMMM???

Wow! Nice write up.

...but what oil do you use, Mr. Knowitall?!?!
    2008 Outlaw IRS
    Jd Jet Kit
    Fasst Flexx Bars
    Precision Steering Stabilizer
    Pure Polaris Nerf Bars
    Pure Polaris Heel Guards
    Boss DLR Roller Bearings
    Powermadd Handguards
    G-Force rear spacers
    ProTaper Pillow Grips
    K&N Air Filter
    YFZ Throttle Spring
    For now...

I Honda's synthetic now without moly. The gold stuff. (and almost as expensive) I know a lot of people have used the rotella t with great results but for me a trail rider, one of the last paragraphs says it all:

Why do you wear a helmet, Gloves, boots, jacket and WHY do you buy INSURANCE? In case of an accident! Right!! If within the first fifty (50) miles after an oil change, a rock hits your radiator or the thermostat sticks, the water pump stops pumping or whatever causes a major heat problem in your cooling system, what would you rather have in your engine? A mineral oil that acts like butter, that burns up and evaporates very quickly and also carbonizes OR an oil that can handle high RUNNING temps like synthetics (325°f to 367°f). High quality oils are INSURANCE not only maintenance. The same is true about brake fluids and gear oils.

BTW, I didn't write all that up, but rather cut-and-pasted from the article. I'm a smart guy, just not that smart about oil.

It made a lot of sense to me so I thought I would share.

I just use the ps4 plus thats called for, have no reason not to. it works. The money is not a big deal , I'm sure I blow more of it than I need to on other things too.
    08 525 s

Well the KTM factory bike race teams use Rotella Synthetic. And there have been multiple oil analysis that have shown that many of your "motorcycle" oils contain far more Moly than many of your "non" motorcycle oils.

Rotella is designed for high shear loads, which is exactly what these quad engines need and after the thousands and thousands of miles everyone has put on their quads/dirtbikes/road machines using Rotella there is not doubt that it is clutch safe.
    2007 Outlaw 525 (#315Q) AC Racing Blackline ProPeg nerfs, Wilson Racing suspension, Precision steering stabilizer, Flexx Bars 15*, Rath Racing anti vib mounts, Rath Racing MX grab bar w/supports, Oury, Pit Posse Outlaw shifter, Vapor computer, JD Jet kit, big O-ring, YFZ throttle mod, Pro design filter, CT Racing full exhaust, RAZR 2, for sand-20x10x10 Edge on Douglas .160.

2007 Predator 500 LE
    350 Raptor, 2008 250 Raptor, 2006 Jetmoto 150, 50 Raptor

2007 Outlaw 90(#384M) 2008 Class A 14 and under state champion
    2006 Predator 90 (#705M) 10 and under 2nd place in state

So, what you the consumer need to decide is where the price breaking point is for you.

I chose the science behind the synthetics and the few extra dollars more.

Originally posted by scuzz
    So, what you the consumer need to decide is where the price breaking point is for you.

I chose the science behind the synthetics and the few extra dollars more.
    The Rotella synthetic is still under $20/gallon.

Originally posted by birdman7389
    The Rotella synthetic is still under $20/gallon.
    Many if not most so called synthetic oils are just more highly refined dino oil. this is what the Rotella is. Most true synthetics proclaim PAO or ester on the label.

So rotella has a lower flash/burn point.

But playing devil's advocate against myself...

MANY people use Rotella T synthetic with ZERO issues.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-557205.html

So the 15w-40 rottela synthetic is a good choice in Texas?

What kind of quad do you have and what kind of riding do you do?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast