Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what oil to use?

what oil to use?

I'm ready to do an oil change ( I've already done several) and was wondering if I should go synthetic or simi-synthetic. Also what brand and is it available through the dealer?

If you have the KTM motor, you can use polaris PS-4 PLus and it is available form the dealer. I am still on my break-in period on mine and dont know a lot about these machines yet, so there may be a better oil than what I am using. Yes this is a full synthetic oil, I paid about 10 bucks a quart. I have always thought that it is not best to switch between conventional and synthetic oils on the same motor more than necessary. I hope this helps a little.
    2009 Outlaw 525 IRS
    Hardline Hour Meter
    Pro Armor Nerf Bars
    Pro Armor Assualt Force Handguards
    Pro Armor tether kill switch
    Pro Armor Dominator bumper
    AC Racing Grab bar
    ITP Chrome lug nuts
    FMF Factory 4.1 slip-on
    JD Jetting
    Uni Filter
    CV4 radiator hoses

#212 Harescramble AMA District 17 & GNCC

Forget all that $$. Go to wal-mart or the local auto parts store and get a gallon of Rotella 10-40 non-syn for like $12.
    All the KTM guys run it in their race and trail bikes, and lots of the quad guys are catching on.

Read up on it at ktmtalk.com.....

That's what I use in my 525 outlaw.

The owner's manuel said NOT to use the Polaris PS-4! First it says to use it but then has a note not to use it.

The Rotella 10w-40 non- synthetic or the Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic is what most guys are using.

You can buy it by the gallon at Wal-mart

Rotella 5-40 syn
    love it, never gonna switch
    07 Outlaw 525 IRS
    JD Jet, Lg O-Ring / K&N, No Lid / Rerouted Crank Case Vent / R @ D Power Bowl, Power Pump, Flex Jet, Detent spring / Alba Exhaust / G-Force Rear Wheel Spacers / Tusk Hand Guards

Originally posted by Outlaw212

The owner's manuel said NOT to use the Polaris PS-4!
    That may be true but PS-4 PLUS is recommended for use. Although I have been reading about the 5w-40 Rotella T and it sounds like that is what i will get next.
    2009 Outlaw 525 IRS
    Hardline Hour Meter
    Pro Armor Nerf Bars
    Pro Armor Assualt Force Handguards
    Pro Armor tether kill switch
    Pro Armor Dominator bumper
    AC Racing Grab bar
    ITP Chrome lug nuts
    FMF Factory 4.1 slip-on
    JD Jetting
    Uni Filter
    CV4 radiator hoses

#212 Harescramble AMA District 17 & GNCC

Guys,

Take the time out to read this page it explains why you shouldn't use diesel oil or anything other than motorcycle oil. One of the main reasons is because of how car and diesel engine oil doesn't resist foaming (as would occur in your tranny). Keep in mind that not only does oil that is foaming not lubricate, but it also traps heat and clutch debris causing further problems.

Will other oils work? Of course they will!

It's just not the best idea for your precious baby.

Originally posted by scuzz
    Guys,

Take the time out to read this page it explains why you shouldn't use diesel oil or anything other than motorcycle oil. One of the main reasons is because of how car and diesel engine oil doesn't resist foaming (as would occur in your tranny). Keep in mind that not only does oil that is foaming not lubricate, but it also traps heat and clutch debris causing further problems.

Will other oils work? Of course they will!

It's just not the best idea for your precious baby.

Rotella is not energy conserving, there are no friction modifiers, and it does not hurt our clutches.

Lots of people run Rotella in these same KTM engines, and run them HARD. Everyone has had great results. Race teams that would tear down their engines after the season would find no wear, and the trails guys that would do the same after several years found the same.
    I know this stuff works in the KTM RFS motor, and will keep using it.
    I have read the site you posted before, and there is some good info there. It just seems pretty general, not specific to our usage.

Found a better one

Check this one out:

http://www.p1-performance.com/pdf/oildoc.pdf

SYNTHETICS IN THE USA ©2006
    In the USA there are a few different types of synthetic base stocks used in engine oils. We will just
    touch on three in this paper.
    The word Synthetic is confusing; it describes a process, not a material. For example, White sand is
    synthesized into glass, but glass is never called “synthetic sand”. Most people think that ALL
    Synthetic oils are made of the same base, THIS IS WRONG! For most of the USA, there are mainly
    Two types of synthetic oils (or as we like to say, synthetics are DESIGNER oils).
    The first type is a GROUP 3. This is a Petroleum oil that is re-refined to deliver a good base oil.
    The process and end product is the least expensive of the 3 types of synthetics. Actually this type of
    product was considered a Petroleum oil until a recent legal battle was lost. The molecules are not as
    consistent in their size as in a PAO or ESTER (mentioned below) but are better than a Group 1
    and 2 petroleum oil. The advantages of the G3 are a cleaner base, a higher Viscosity index (ability
    to flow) and better all around performance.
    The second type is a PAO, short for POLY-ALPHA-OLEFINE -or easier to understand, it is
    SYNTHESIZED PETROLEUM oil. It is refined in a special process, or in simple words
    “synthesized”. It still starts out by being pumped out of the ground. PAO’s are better than regular
    petroleum oil for handling heat, oxidation, low temperature startups and higher film strength.
    Drawback, PAO and PETROLEUM are dynamic types of oil, you have to build up oil pressure and
    have rotation before a film is produced. Better said, you have to HYDROPLANE the engine parts
    like you hydroplane a car in the rain, to create a film! (Or in the case of water-skiing, you have to
    build speed for the skier to get up and plane on the water) PAO’s are NOT VERY expensive
    because they are made from crude oil and produced in large quantities.
    The third type of synthetics is a, SYNTHETIC ESTERS. (Diester, Polyolesters, polyesters and
    complex esters) Motul® uses esters in its products. ESTERS ARE MOSTLY MADE OF
    VEGETABLES, minerals and animal fatty acids. (Motul’s® esters contain a lot of coconut
    derivatives) Esters are much more expensive because the ingredients all have to be collected from
    natural RENEWABLE resources and synthesized (a very expensive process) in smaller quantities.
    Esters have all the advantages of a PAO but more of them. ESTERS CAN HANDLE HEAT
    BETTER THAN PAO’s AND WHEN BURNED, ESTERS LEAVE FAR LESS (COKING)
    DEPOSITS. ESTERS ARE POLAR/STATIC types of OILS and ARE ATTRACTED TO METAL
    PARTS WITH AN ELECTRO-CHEMICAL BOND. THIS MEANS NO MORE METAL TO
    METAL START UPS, This also means that a film is THERE BEFORE The Oil Pressure Light
    Goes Out preventing Premature Ware Of High-Stressed Parts Like Cam Lobes. The Film created is
    up to 5 times stronger then petroleum oil..
    THE NUMBER 1 REASON TO RUN AN ESTER SYNTHETIC OIL is BOND. The Electrochemical
    bond is made because the ESTER MOLECULE IS POLAR! Sort of like a refrigerator
    magnet! It is attracted to metal and it sticks.
    THE PAO MOLECULES ARE NEUTRAL and act like a piece of plastic placed on the Frig. They
    just fall off. FYI, all commercial jet planes use an ester synthetic of some type and not a PAO! You
    need to run an ester of some sort for maximum protection!
    Dave Wolman 2005 1
    LET’S EXPLAIN WHY HANDLING HIGHER RUNNING TEMPS IS IMPORTANT .
    With petroleum oils there is a much better risk of failure from volatility problems than with
    synthetics. Why?
    HAVE YOU EVER BURNED BUTTER while cooking? YES, everybody has burned butter!
    The running temp or maximum temp is low. When butter reaches its’ maximum running temp it
    starts to evaporate (volatility) then it carbonizes and then it sticks to the metal pan. Now compare
    butter to VEGETABLE OIL in which you deep fry “French fries”! The only way to heat vegetable
    oil so hot as to make it carbonize, you would almost need a direct flame.
    Petroleum oil is like Butter as far as handling heat! And SYNTHETICS are like
    VEGETABLE oils, synthetics won‘t burn up and stick to your engine parts or go out the breather
    as fast as petroleum oils will. (Remember ESTERS leave almost no DEPOSITS if they do burn)
    THIS IS THE SECOND REASON to run a SYNTHETIC OIL. (Because you’re not
    supposed to have extreme heat problems everyday)
    BASIC TECH POINTS: RACING AND HIGH PERFORMANCE OILS (MOTUL
    300V RACING SERIES ARE RATED AS SG/SH, WHILE OR HIGH
    PERFORMANCE STREET OILS ARE THE NEW SJ RATED.
    · Engines, especially air or oil cooled designs need lubricants that can handle higher running
    temps to INCREASE VISCOSITY RETENTION, while reducing consumption and oil film
    breakdown.
    · High Performance engines always increase the load pressures placed upon moving components.
    High lift cams and stiffer valve springs load up the lifters, rocker arms and valve ends. Newer
    designs incorporate gear driven overhead cams which bring a new challenge. More internal
    gearing will shares the engine oil faster. Because of that, Motul® adds more medium
    EXTREME PRESSURE (EP) additives such as ZINC and a STRONG EP additive, called a
    SULFURIZED ESTER to handle the shear / meshing of the engine.
    1. EP additives come into play at the instant a medium extreme pressure is applied and high
    temperatures are created. ZINC lays down a barrier that prevents metal to metal contact and
    the SULFURIZED ESTER produces a sacrificial film that is destroyed during very strong
    extreme pressures as it prevents SEIZING. EP additives are generally corrosive especially those
    used in gearboxes. WE use this ESTER because it is FAR LESS CORROSIVE and more
    environmentally safe than others that can do the job. (This is what those TV advertised
    products forget to tell you when you see them test a ball bearing under 100,000 pounds of
    pressure)
    2. To explain it easier, let’s take a sandwich wrapped in plastic wrap (the EP additive
    would be the plastic wrap). If you were to squeeze the sandwich you would contact the plastic
    wrap with your fingers (your fingers representing the gears) and the sandwich would squish ,
    however, your fingers NEVER actually made contact with the sandwich!
    · Performance engines NEED A BALANCED FRICTION MODIFIER PACKAGE! So that the
    ring seal stays strong, roller and ball bearings roll in the race and plain bearings have as little
    drag as possible.
    NOTE: The SULFURIZED ESTER is a part of this friction reduction package due to its ability to
    STICK to engine parts (ferrous metals)
    · Performance engines used in endurance type of competition need strong A NTI - ACID (BASE)
    (TBN, total base number)!
    Dave Wolman 2005 2
    1. Condensation (the steam that you see coming out of your tail pipe in the morning)
    which is a natural by-product of combustion in an engine. This condensation which is acidic
    water, passes by the rings under compression into the crankcase and mixes with the sulfur,
    SULFURIC ACID is created. ANTI-ACID (base) neutralizes the acid before it can cause any
    damage.
    · High revving engines need strong ANTI-FOAM ADDITIVES.
    1. Higher RPM aerates the oil more.
    We must pop the bubble before it causes damage! Why,
    a. Foam is air, air does not lubricate: friction from metal to metal produces higher
    heat and wear.
    b. Foam is air; air is a better insulator then a transmitter of heat. It does not transmit
    heat from hot metal parts to the oil very well or vice versa.
    c. Problems - OIL PUMPS DO NOT PUMP AIR!
    1. Oil pressure can DROP!
    2. TEMP’S can RAISE due to inefficient heat exchange
    Endurance engines NEED STRONG DISPERSANTS to suspend the combustion by-products that
    are created and materials rubbed off during normal operations. If you find worn components in
    your older race engine, ask yourself a question? WHERE DID THE MATERIAL GO?
    a. The parts were beaten or compressed and the material is still there
    b. The materials were rubbed off and washed RIGHT INTO THE OIL!!! We want the
    material to stay in tiny pieces and stay mixed in the oil, so that the oil filter can do its
    job. There are many devices on the market now that surround the filter with a magnet to
    capture some wear metals.
    · Race engines NEED A STRONG DETERGENT, WHY? Because of more heat generation (more
    horsepower per ci) trying to fry the oil onto the engine parts, and added dirt being dropped into
    the oil from the by-products from combustion.
    · M otul SYNTHETICS C AN be mixed with MOST high quality mineral, Group 3, PAO or
    ESTER synthetic oils, without major problems. Try to stay close to the viscosity range. (I.e.
    10w40 mixed with 10w40). If you have mixed oils, Motul Recommend an oil change when you
    get home from the Event, since the oil additives and base from our oil is now not balanced.
    THESE ARE SOME OF THE MAIN ISSUES THAT MOTUL® LOOKS AT WHEN DESIGNING A
    PERFORMANCE ENGINE OIL.
    As discussed earlier, synthetics can handle much higher running temperatures than conventional
    petroleum oils and can withstand more stress. Many people ask, so what! I don’t push my vehicle
    that hard and I change oil every 1000 miles! I don’t need expensive performance oil in my car.
    Dave Wolman 2005 3
    This type of thinking is wrong!!!!
    The question we have for you folks is a simple one?
    Why do you wear a helmet, Gloves, boots, jacket and WHY do you buy INSURANCE? In case of
    an accident! Right!! If within the first fifty (50) miles after an oil change, a rock hits your radiator
    or the thermostat sticks, the water pump stops pumping or whatever causes a major heat problem
    in your cooling system, what would you rather have in your engine? A mineral oil that acts like
    butter, that burns up and evaporates very quickly and also carbonizes OR an oil that can handle
    high RUNNING temps like synthetics (325°f to 367°f).
    High quality oils are INSURANCE not only maintenance. The same is true about brake fluids and
    gear oils.
    THE API CONTROLS THE STANDARDS FOR AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE OILS.
    SJ , SL AND NOW SM MAY NOT BE AS GOOD FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE
    RACING ENGINES AS THE OLDER SG/SH RATING.

Also, FWIW I'm not trying to be a "Mr. Knowitall" - I'm just trying to be helpful.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast