Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Outlaw 525 exhaust, the definitive thread

Dollar for dollar. A correctly jetted machine will gain more usable seat of the pants power.

The JD kit is worth every penny. You can use every exhaust under the sun. Until the bike is jetted for the machine and "its" options, you can LOSE more performance than gained.

Now-must machines are sold "rich" as not to over wear or burn up the engine. A exhaust or air filter/lid removal sometimes feels better as it brings the air/fuel mixture closer to level.

With that some Outlaws have come lean so adding performance mods such as filter, exhaust, etc sometimes retards the performance.

CT is a great pipe and with the correct jetting it wont reach its full potential.

Dollar for dollar-I loved the HMF slip on, KN, EHS Lid, and JD combination.

I loved the CT, dont get me wrong but the sound level was a little much.
    2008 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS: JD Jetting * Pit Posse KTM Shifter * ALBA Racing Anti Vibe Bar Mounts w/ Pro Taper ATV High Bars, Spider Grips * PRM Skids * REM Grab Bar * K&N * HMF Sport Exhaust * AC Pro Pegs and Bumper * Cycra Pro Bend Guards * Custom DWT Beadlocks and Maxxis Tires

2001 Polaris Scrambler 500 4wd
    Fully Modded by HPD,Team GNCC Clutch, Kenda Knarly's on ITP Bajas, Supertrapp Race Core Exhaust System

2004.5 Sportsman 600 ITP Mudlights on Maxxis Wheels

i actually picked up a DG R.A.C.E. slip-on off of e-bay for $130. for that price I wasn't expecting a huge difference, but it was lighter and gave the quad a much better punch. I'll use it until it wears out and then probably go for a full system.
    2007 outlaw 525 IRS (now a 540)
    Built by Poaris on 11/06
    Motor by Duncan Racing 1/08

1987 Lt500R QUADZILLA (sold)

2007 outlander MAX 400 (bought new 4/09)

Originally posted by somewon
    that's kinda like saying why didn't ford build a ferrari before ferrari.

The answer is they didn't want to spend the time and money doing the R&D. the fmf and hmf answer is to slightly modify what they are already using so the plumbing matches up, they don't design a new pipe for each quad.

just my $0.02
    Well, I can agree with you if we are going to say that CT got lucky with the design. I doubt they have a big engineering dept to do a ton of Lab tests. I assume they have a flow bench if they build motors but not sure how useful that would be for building an exhaust. Flow isn't everything.
    Outlaw 525
    Brute Force 650
    Banshee
    lt250r (parting out)

Originally posted by ojcool
    Well, I can agree with you if we are going to say that CT got lucky with the design. I doubt they have a big engineering dept to do a ton of Lab tests. I assume they have a flow bench if they build motors but not sure how useful that would be for building an exhaust. Flow isn't everything.
    Because they are not the only company making a full exhaust for the bike.
    Outlaw 525
    Brute Force 650
    Banshee
    lt250r (parting out)

Let's put it this way, you don't need the huge R&D group to figure out how to build the best tuned exhaust for a machine. The people making the most power through pipes are always the little guys. Big names like FMF, HMF, Yoshi, etc ussually don't make as much power.

BTW, Chris that Muzzy Stainless pipe is looking Very Nice!
    01' DS650
    03' Z400

Originally posted by SilverBomb
    BTW, Chris that Muzzy Stainless pipe is looking Very Nice!
    Thanks Jon!

Chris
    **Chris**

The REAPER is coming ............

OMW

The secret is that they tune each muffler with a certan number of disks. Some bikes use 7 disks some use 12 and some use 16 disks. CT dyno tunes each system to each model so their pipes are customized and can also be changed but the end user. If he decides he wants it quieter he can remove a few disks. If he wants more power after adding more mods he can add a few more disks. I am going with a CT full system for my 525 S. I might order the kit for the 450 MXR though because it includes 2 more disks just in case I need them.

Anybody run the Yosh slipon? How critical is the header vs just the slipon?

Got the Yoshimura RS-5 today, VERY nice piece for sure, will look badass coming out from under the seat.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345