Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally bought a 250R

Finally bought a 250R

So I finally did it, and completely on a whim. Found a 1988 250R on Craigslist today that a buddy alerted me to. After work, I grabbed some cash, went and snatched it up! The plastic isn't perfect, it doesn't have front brakes (guy rode in dunes only), and it needs some other basics replaced, but I got it for $1600 cash. It has a .020" overbore, 38mm Mikuni, and Paul Turner exhaust, and some other chrome goodies. I got front calipers & discs, plus a spare set of crappy rear tires as well. It starts very easily; especially when warm, and seems to have awesome throttle response. Nothing rattles; idles pretty smooth. All pivot bearings are tight, as are the hubs. I only rode it briefly up & down street, but it seems to rip pretty f'in good!

I want to replace with red plastics, stock headlight re-install w/ factory switches...etc, red lables & holeshots, twist throttle, extended a-arms with piggybacks, rear piggyback, etc.

I'll definitely be coming in here to ask for advise. My last 4 wheeler was a 400ex, and I ride with guys that have Warriors, 450r, a Quadzilla...

What do you think??
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice find!!!!

Nice grab...did you find that in ohio?

Originally posted by Jonny B
    Nice grab...did you find that in ohio?

Yeah I think it is...I was thinking about getting it..

Yep; it was in Toledo, and I am in Sandusky. For as long as I've researched these on atvtrader.com and ebay, finding one at that price for $1600 was like a sore peter...ya just can't beat it.

if you wana sell that plastic pm me ill buy it

check ur pm's
    ==>LSR framed Axis Pro-Trax 76mm Pro-X 4mil crank dune & show bike.
    ==>Stock frame laeger 72mm Pro-X play bike

Finally got it out for a ride this afternoon, but by that time it was a light rain/snow. Those worn down 400ex tires and a wild powerband equals NO traction or side bite whatsoever!! Been a while since I've ridden a good 2 stroke, but she sure seems to run good, and definitely seems to LOVE to rev out with no issues slipping clutch in a high gear to find the power again VERY quickly. It definitely needs at least new rear tires for now. Was just thinking of some Kenda Klaws, Razr's, or similar on stock rims for now, because traction is honestly piss-weak right now, when it's slippery. I ride mostly woods, open fields, trails, all around. Reccomendations?? Had holehot 20" XCR's on 10" rims on my 400ex and liked those. What about on the 250r?

What's the best resource for parts diagrams, layouts, or depictions on what is supposed to be where on this beast? I know there's little doo-dads missing that I'll have to modify, make, or fix...and I like to do things at least close to the right way. I could definitely see myself stripping it to the frame to strip, check, gusset the frame someday, but not right now.

Thanks guys!!

I like the Holeshots from ITP.
    Buy a service manual right away.
    A WINNER NEVER QUITS AND A QUITTER NEVER WINS!!!

I bought a Service Manual, then kicked myself when I found out it was a free download on *********.... So is the parts manual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast