Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400ex front end messed up

400ex front end messed up

Well I went out to test my 450r shocks I put on the other week and was riding down a trail and hit a rock pretty hard. It instantly popped my right tire and now my front end is pretty warped. I am new to these quads and am not exactly sure where to start. I know tie rods are supposed to be a "weak point" in the front end but it does not seem to be bent. I look at my front end and can't really tell if the a-arms are bent or not. Something is obviously not right since my tire is crooked and if you look closely at the picture I am going to post it looks as if the hub is lower on the side that I hit earlier. I am not even sure where to start. I just want some other people to look at the picture to maybe see something that I do not see. The side that is messed up is the right side when sitting on the quad (left side in the pic tho).

http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/z...730_173707.jpg
    2003 Honda 400EX - HMF Exhaust, FMF Powerbomb Header, TRX 450R front shocks, Uni Filter, Blingstar Iron Cross bumper, Alba Pro Peg Nerfs, UM Performance Air Scoops, Pro Taper Contour bars, ASV F3 Clutch n Break levers, Renthal gold chain and sprockets, Acerbis Uniko handguards, Pro Taper oversized bar mounts, Alba aluminum case saver, Alba aluminum gas cap, ITP Holeshots, Douglas Wheels, Lonestar Billet parking brake block off. 165/42 jetting ......WORK IN PROGRESS LOTS MORE TO ADD ON!

2003 Honda 300EX - Retired!

maybe blew out the wheel bearing?
    IM HARD ON EQUIPMENT!

GOON: look pro, go slow!

Spider Graphix, Magic Motorsports, ATVRDIERS.COM, MOM&DAD

****Breast cancer awareness! I love you grandma!****

Could just be the pic..... But the knuckle on the left in the pic looks bent. I would also check out the upper ball joint on the same side.

Nah it's def. not just the picture. It looks exactly like that in real life. I don't know too much about these things (not that they're too complicated but) I would like to avoid just throwing parts at it as much as possible. I know when it comes down to it that it's up to me to figure out exactly what's going on but I figured I'd see what you experts and fellow riders had to say about it.... Do you think it's safe to say my bottom a-arm is not bent?

I can also get a picture that is closer to the arms if needed.
    2003 Honda 400EX - HMF Exhaust, FMF Powerbomb Header, TRX 450R front shocks, Uni Filter, Blingstar Iron Cross bumper, Alba Pro Peg Nerfs, UM Performance Air Scoops, Pro Taper Contour bars, ASV F3 Clutch n Break levers, Renthal gold chain and sprockets, Acerbis Uniko handguards, Pro Taper oversized bar mounts, Alba aluminum case saver, Alba aluminum gas cap, ITP Holeshots, Douglas Wheels, Lonestar Billet parking brake block off. 165/42 jetting ......WORK IN PROGRESS LOTS MORE TO ADD ON!

Mines also slightly like that, knuckles bent I think slightly as the same side of mine got a new tie rod not to long ago.

Id not worry about it unless it leans ALOT. I have new knuckles I picked off of ebay for a steal (sure you can find some too) that I plan to use with some +1 arms sooner or later.

So long as the handling isnt really effected I wouldnt lose sleep over it.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

I would focus on the knuckle.
    The lower a arm looks ok but its just one pic. If you think the a arm is a issue get a tape measure and straight edge and compare both lower a arms.

thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to measure the a-arms like previously mentioned but now that you guys mention it, it does seem like the knuckle is messed up. It would make sense that it's the knuckle that's bent since the inside of my rim is what hit the rock (put a wicked big dent in my rim and popped my tire) so I would imagine that the impact def. could have bent that knuckle. In real life it looks A LOT more crooked than in the picture. I think tie rods and knuckle will be my first items purchased. I'd really hate to start putting $ into the front end since I plan on buying some aftermarket a-arms in the upcoming months. I am posting another picture that is more close to give a better view.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/z...730_201606.jpg

Where do you guys think the knuckle is bent? Where the axle shaft goes into the knuckle? Or the knuckle itself? Measure the flat spots on the knuckle where the ball joints go through. Comparing the measurements from both sides. If it's the shaft you think is bent, raise the front end and spin the wheel and watch the hub for wobble.
    02 400ex 407cc Wiseco 11:1.HC Stage 2.02' CRF450r cam chain.K&N w/ Outerwear w/open airbox.450r carb 215/50/3rd.Hinson 8 plate setup.Spal fan.Razr2's.Hiper front and rear.TRX450r front shocks.04' YFZ450r front calipers.SS front lines.Pro peg nerf bars from TRX250R w/steel kick-ups.250R air scoops.Powermadd handguards.XR's Only temp. dipstick.Full Sparks X6.DG front bumper.Pro Armor swingarm skid,A-arm skids.15/36.250x clutch cable.250r rear caliper,bracket,rotor and hub.SS rear line

Im also gona say its the knuckle because mine is like that also.
    XC RACING

04 400ex 11:1 comp wiseco *SOLD*
    Stage2 hotcam
    Wiseco cam chain
    Motoworks exhaust
    Pro armor kill switch
    Kenda kutter tires
    Pro armor belly skid
    Gt thunder skidplate
    Renthnal Bars

07 450er
    motoworks exhaust
    kenda kutter rear
    kenda klaw fronts
    gt thunder revalves
    Moose belly skid
    Gripper seat
    Dirtworks 24volt system

Sponsors: Gt thunder, Motoworks/DWT

Yeah the shaft I don't think is bent because it doesn't "wobble" on it at all. How hard is it to replace those knuckles? It doesn't seem like it's too hard of a job but then again I am new to all this. I am going to measure everything and take a really good look at it with the info you guys have given me tomorrow when I get out of work. I really hope it's just this knuckle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast