Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Dirt Drag Tire Setup For Hard Packed Dirt?

Best Dirt Drag Tire Setup For Hard Packed Dirt?

I been having the biggest problem lately choosing a good rear tire setup for my 400ex strictly for drag racing. I haven't decided on a front sprocket either. I think mine is a 15t so if it is, i'll drop it to a 14t probably. And i'll probably run stock 9 inch rims until i get the money to get 9 inch blue labels...

Well, i been told ohtsus, 4 snows, pro wedges, zippers, sandsnakes(would have to run an 8 inch wheel), and turf tamers.. The only problem with some of them are, i can't find who sells pro wedges and zippers. I can get 4 snows for 72 shipped apiece but i keep hearing good and bad about them. I hear that the track has to be just right or they fold and just spin?

I got a pair of ohtsus but they only have about 30-40% tread left so i don't know how they will do.

I had around 80-90% tread on my maxxis razrs the last race and they spun so bad. Even after i lowered the pressure to 1psi, they still spun some.

Here's my setup i ran last drag race and i didn't do the best. I think my best time was around 5.4 at 52mph but i spun so much so i was loosing time:

Sorry for the picture editing. It's alittle too bright.

This girl beat me by 0.008th of a second on her built 450r. I still feel ashamed that a girl beat me.

All help is greatly appreciated. I know John been helpin me through alot of this because he drag races. He referred me to the 4 snows so i might just end up getting them. I just want everyone elses opinions also. I have a drag race in less than 5 weeks so i need to get a pair ordered asap.
    - 2005 "The Sleeper" 400ex
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Were gonna need to see some time slips before we believe you went 5.4

5.4 is a goodtime, I just dont see how with all your extra weight and regular tires you ran that.

Anything is possible and that would be awesome, but you have to prove it....lol.

Are you sure thats a true 300ft track?
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
    Were gonna need to see some time slips before we believe you went 5.4

5.4 is a goodtime, I just dont see how with all your extra weight and regular tires you ran that.

Anything is possible and that would be awesome, but you have to prove it....lol.

Are you sure thats a true 300ft track?
    I ran between 5.4 to 5.8s. 5.5s mainly. I just had sucky starts sometime. And nah, it isn't a true one. I think I heard it was around 270-280ft when they measured it last.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Bump.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Every quad i've seen on craigslist set up for drag racing has had a set of these right here.

Loud Pipes Save Lives!
    ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪
    Ill keep my Guns, Money, and Freedom. You can keep the change.

Yeah I would love to find a pair of those pro wedge IIs but the closest thing to them are the maxxis 4 snows.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

When I tried to drag my banshee years ago the best rear combo I found to work and hook in anything with correct psi was a set of holeshots that I cut every other lug strip out. Close to a paddle tire and always passed inspection. That or a set of realtors cut the same and run backwards. I'm sure there are a lot better choices nowadays but they were cheap and didn't have too much of a choice. Good luck either way

^^ ya those work good to
    400ex hybrid Finished!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDIAw8UskQ

KKiowaTJ: Yeah I have some holeshots but they don't have too much tread so their just sittin in my garage and I also heard about them realtors. But thanks man, I appreciate it.

John: You won't believe what I found....

One set of 4 snows with steel rims ( He said the rims were wide so they didn't expand awhole lot)

One set of pro wedge IIs with 1 rim.

4 snows - $50
    Pro wedge IIs - $30

What you think? He used them two times and he said they are pretty much new. He also had some balloon tires with studs but they were 25 in height! I never heard of them "wider rims" though that he has on the 4 snows. The guy is only two states away which is about 3 hours. I think it's kinda worth it though.
    - 1984 CR125r Project

Whats the track conditions exactly? Title says hard packed dirt..i think of tight clay when i read that. Like flattrack/TT. Think about running a set of american racers? Made to powerslide the corners and accelerate on the straights. If its that hard packed...might be worth trying.
    1999 400ex -- Sunday driver ----****SOLD****
    Wiseco 426. 11 :1, Hotcam Stage 2, Curtis Sparks X-6 full exhaust, Houser 450r Probounce nerfs. (black silvervein) Holeshot GNCC's on T-9 Itp baja, Maier carbon fiber plastics, Houser antivibe stem with Renthals/ODI Rouges, Lonestar doublerow carrier, 170 main no lid -- 50/50 turbo blue and 93. '07 450R shocks

2005 450R -- The Sleeper --
    Bumped up compression, stage 2 hotcam,hotrods bottom, Dasa full system, uni filter and jetted, stainless brake lines, rath nerfs and heels, quadtech hood, Fluidyne radiator, ported and polished, houser grabbar, Hinson'd out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast