Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 03 Predator

It does look pretty beat
    In that shape, prepare for new sprockets and chain, a-arm bearings, swingarm and axle bearings.......etc.

+ all the rust on the frame, check it for cracks.
    $500 is cheap, but that is in pretty neglected shape.

where is it at! i want it. jk. thats still a good deal if it needs work

I would leave it where it sit's even if he wanted $100 for it
    the 03's were junk POOR frames and a bad tranny i wouldnt buy one till atleast an 05
    the truth in this a guy that lives near me bought one rode a few trails and rode it to get his mail and he was old like old and the tranny started to go and it had 9 cracks in the frame and he had it 6 months and got it brand new
    2000 kawi kx 125 fully rebuilt woods setup Oma,ixcr,gncc #067 Link

polaris scrambler 500 2wd with bolt ons

Originally posted by chris hallett
    I am thinking the cylinders are nicasil, so you just cant bore them with out having them recoated,I think you may want to check into it.
    With a nikasil'd cylinder, if you bore the cylinder, you will have to have it re-nikasil. Which at that point, you might as well buy or find a new cylinder.

If the cylinder is in good condition, you can de-glaze the cylinder meaning, a shop will hone the cross-hatch marks back into the nikasil. Which is a good idea anytime you change piston. If you install a piston into a cylinder without cross-hatching, the chances increase the the rings will not seat and, with that, it could lead to blow-by.
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

Originally posted by 400exrider69
    I would leave it where it sit's even if he wanted $100 for it
    the 03's were junk POOR frames and a bad tranny i wouldnt buy one till atleast an 05
    the truth in this a guy that lives near me bought one rode a few trails and rode it to get his mail and he was old like old and the tranny started to go and it had 9 cracks in the frame and he had it 6 months and got it brand new
    In all actuality, all years of Predator had issues with the transmissions. The weakness is in the shift forks. When power shifting or, slamming the shifter, the shift forks bend fairly easy. Once that happens, the gears don't completely engage and, overtime, the dog ears on the trans gears literally shatter off.

Really, its a hit or miss issue. My first predator was a 2003 and, never had an ounce of problems with the motor or the trans. Then, I bought an 05'. 1 yr in, the transmission locked up solid...even tho the popular conception is the 05' transmission were "fixed". I then, replaced the 05' bottom end with a 03 bottom end and, had NO further issues with the transmission.

The trick with the Predators is, you ALWAYS use that clutch. Never power shift the machine but, even at that, it's only a preventative measure and, doesn't guarantee nothing will happen.

The frame issue was with the upper motor mount where it bolts to the frame. Really, its a simple fix. Just find a good welder and, have some gusset added to the upper motor mount locations and, in my experience, broken frames were caused when the machine was excessively jumped or, rolled, or in my case, I hit a tree.

Basically, MAINTAIN your machine.
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

Ok i decided against it. too much work and im afraid ill end up with a pos quad with tranny probs. thanks for the help. now im lookin at an 06 outlaw
    2000 400ex-parted out

2005 Predator-traded

2003 400ex-Parted out

2003 400ex- Parted out

3 Blasters- 1 kept, 1 parted out, 1 traded

06 Outlaw 500 (current quad)- HMF Bill Balance full exhaust, Stage 2 hotcams, ITP Holeshot rear tires, Dynojet jet kit, Titan front tires.

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

'|^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |...BEER TRUCK......| ||'|";, ___.
    |_..._...________=|=||'_|__|.,] -
    "(@)'(@)'"**|(@)(@)**** ''(@)

dude i'd say sold.
    northern atv mx #69 championship winner.

2003 polaris predator
    pure polaris pipe
    maxxis razer 2's
    KandN drop in filter
    pro taper contours
    pp nerfs

Originally posted by MEOHMY
    Rapturds are for Yamaha fans that were to afraid to ride a YFZ.
    thanks to my sponsors:
    roberts sports center
    Elka Suspension
    polaris racing
    Maxxis
    Nac's Racing

and i frogot to mention my 03's trany locked in second gear over a double.did the whole cart wheele thing like 3 times,broke the frame in a couple spots,but i never got a chance to see what was wrong wit the trany.just threw it in the shed and moved on.

so my question is do u know what could have happend to my old predator.i pulled it out of the shed and fired it up(i do NOT recomend leting ur quad sit for a year and a half) and i got first and second but when i go to 3rd it's like i hit neutral and it ticks.

i really feal like *^&%$# for leting it sit so long but the dealer that sponser's me gave me an 08 525(still had to pay 3g's and put THERE stickers on it)but i dont complain..any help would be good.
    northern atv mx #69 championship winner.

2003 polaris predator
    pure polaris pipe
    maxxis razer 2's
    KandN drop in filter
    pro taper contours
    pp nerfs

Originally posted by MEOHMY
    Rapturds are for Yamaha fans that were to afraid to ride a YFZ.
    thanks to my sponsors:
    roberts sports center
    Elka Suspension
    polaris racing
    Maxxis
    Nac's Racing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12