Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard Rear Axle VS. IRS...in xc racing

Standard Rear Axle VS. IRS...in xc racing

Ok....I've read many of theorys on here about how much better IRS is with maybe an exception in the dunes...well I race xc here in WV which is known for its treacherous terrain...do u really think an IRS quad would give me faster lap times...I've always said a straight axle quad would be faster but with all my reading i've been doing im not so sure now...the reason i'm asking is i've really been considering getting a ktm525xc for next year but now am pondering on the honda xx....sorry i just dont like polaris but thats just me...but why do the polaris gncc racers still run a standard rear axle if irs is so much better...I'm not saying the irs is bad either i've just always thought it would be awesome for trail riding but not so much for racing and i'm just curious on what u guys think...thanx for any info....

I honestly believe you could turn better lap times on a IRS machine if you would forget your SA driving habits and relearn riding on a IRS.
    I do not fear what the future holds for me, I am not afraid to die

A B class or higher racer will be faster on a SRA quad then a IRS quad. 2 reasons, they handle better and there a lot lighter. A C class or a racer who can not practice much, will be faster on a IRS. The reason, they will not wear out as fast as the IRS won't beat you up. The IRS has it's place, but in XC racing the weight and handeling will slow it down. Also, a 525xc wet is only about 380lbs, while the 700xx is 505 lbs. That is huge in racing (except desert) On a side note, the Outlaw 525s and the KTM525 have parts in common, yet a $4000 price difference.

Originally posted by GE4x4
    A B class or higher racer will be faster on a SRA quad then a IRS quad. 2 reasons, they handle better and there a lot lighter. A C class or a racer who can not practice much, will be faster on a IRS. The reason, they will not wear out as fast as the IRS won't beat you up. The IRS has it's place, but in XC racing the weight and handeling will slow it down. Also, a 525xc wet is only about 380lbs, while the 700xx is 505 lbs. That is huge in racing (except desert) On a side note, the Outlaw 525s and the KTM525 have parts in common, yet a $4000 price difference.
    i agree there about the KTM and the Polaris.

i love the KTMs but for the price its just dumb.

Polaris comes with fox shocks and razrs. is it really worth that much for better shocks? i say no.
    2002 400ex
    - Stage 1 Hotcam
    - FMF Megamax
    - K&N, No lid
    - Razrs
    - Renthal Bars

Originally posted by GE4x4
    See thats what i kinda figured...I race A class and am leaning toward a straight axle quad...just dont know anyone with a sport bike with irs that i can test out...i know the dealers will let u take them on a little test ride but not the same as comparing lap times in a racing situation....

I agree with smooth and GE. I have not raced the 700xx, but I have ridden it on a few tracks. You will not like it at first if you are an A class rider...not one little bit. You SRA axle guys get way to use to the handling features of an SRA. Your lap times will go way down at first and you will be very unhappy with it. If you can get yourself past the SRA and teach yourself to be a rookie child like you are just learning to walk again you will teach yourself how to ride the IRS. On a smooth dry track the SRA will kill an IRS. On a rough or wet track the IRS will shine. Think of turning as a dirt oval track racing -vs- Oval drifting racing. It takes allot more technique to corner an IRS properly than a SRA. After riding mine around our track I was doing pretty good and then I jumped on my buddies Suzuki 450 and hated it. It just came around way to easy because I was use to the IRS. As for jumping... I will take the IRS any day. There is allot of spinning going on with a SRA and with the IRS there is allot of tracktion.
    2008 Honda 700xx
    -Trail Tech Vapor
    -Pro-Taper Contour Bars
    -PRM Skid Plate
    -Pro Armor Tether
    -DG GNCC Front Bumper
    -Yosh Pipe
    -Pro Armor Nerfs (on Order)
    -Maxxis RAZR2 Fronts
    -1-1/8" Front wheel spacers
    2007 Polaris Ranger 500
    "SOLD" 2005 Sportsman 800
    "SOLD" 2003 Sportsman 600
    "SOLD" Honda 650L
    "SOLD" 2000 Honda 400ex

I have not raced back east but I have owned and ridden both the KTM525 and the Honda 700. I would take the 700 over the 525 any day.

I due not see IRS in XC racing unless GNCC changes the pro class too open cc. IRS rules in utility class and in desert and long distance rally racing the IRS is looking very good. The IRS will work in XC but it will take a change in riding stile. If you ride it like a SRA you will have troubles in tight turns pushing. The the IRS set up is too new, It will take time too get the correct A-arms and shock set-up. The SRA suspension configuration has over 30 years in R&D the IRS has 3 years.
    SFC RET
    06 Outlaw
    07 540 Outlaw
    00 DS730

Irs will never beat out sra in cross country races handling IS everything in those races,only way that irs would handle better is to lower( if able to) and that defeats the purpose of it.If they were so fast the pros would be riding them!I,ll bet you,ll never see one win again,st a sra in the pro ranks.

Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
    Irs will never beat out sra in cross country races handling IS everything in those races,only way that irs would handle better is to lower( if able to) and that defeats the purpose of it.If they were so fast the pros would be riding them!I,ll bet you,ll never see one win again,st a sra in the pro ranks.
    ............just don't get it do ya. IRS is a better technology. It has the potential for better handleing and faster times.

The fact no one has done it yet proves nothing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast