Thread: 400 Arctic Cat loosing Fire???

400 Arctic Cat loosing Fire???

My 04 ATV looses fire when it gets hot, I'm thinking its the coil but I'd like to be sure before buying one, any thoughts??

Check the stator, I believe they used the Suzuki motors in that machine> if so those motors had problems with the fly wheel. The bonding on the magnets let go and start chewing the stator up
    Teufel

Appalachian Motorsports
    Appalachianmotorsports.com

METZGERHUND MOTORSPORTS

Teufel, If that were the case would not I loose fire all the time, not just when it's hot. Yes it is the 400 Suzuki engine.

Mike

It wouldn't have to _ I had one in my shop that began running erratic - I chased the harness , coil , cdi, etc - made no sense. as you probably know getting to the flywheel isnt the easiest task on these motors. I megged the stator out and it was just barely out of spec.
    All that said I hesitated - then a friend walked in and said " the fly wheel is coming apart, the suzuki motors were notorouis for it.
    (he was a tech at a suzuki dealer.

Sure enough the adhesive lets go and comes into contact with the stator basically chewing it up.

If you have checked the other components and they are with in spec I would go in.

Where are you located
    Teufel

Appalachian Motorsports
    Appalachianmotorsports.com

METZGERHUND MOTORSPORTS

I am located in Nova Scotia Canada

I just replaced the stator in mine for the same reason, the wires were chafed inside the rubber grommet where the wires come through the left side cover, sometimes it would run fine all day and other times it would die just a few miles from the house, also check your diodes because i had a problem with those to.