Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting plastics ?

painting plastics ?

im trying to fix up my bike so i can sell it and buy a 400ex
    have any of you guys painted plastics ? and how did you do it ?
    im afraid if i do it its going to flake off could you guys give me tips on how to do it i saw that 400ex in the rides section that had blue plastics did you paint those or what ?

ahhh!!

i wouldn't- how badd does it look
    couldn't be that bad huh?- i knew a guy that had an ole'
    110 trik he painted the fender's to make it- " camo floodge"
    didn't last long- started chipin off from being so unstable and hitting brush and such- you could go match the paint to the regular color and do it - but if yor trying to cover scratches and stuff- they will still show- that blue 400 ( i think it was in the rides section) is maire plastic, it's cheep- you could buy that-
    it's kinna' dull- but hey- - i say get you some good stuff to make it shine and go over the entire bike- take off some easy parts and get behind em' make it look like you do it all the time- looks taken care of- then let him deal with it later- nuff said- i wouldn't paint it- you could paint some hard parts- hubbs- and little bolt on parts-
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

well the thing is man its yahama blue and the fenders arent cracked or anything but there scratched up and have the white creses all over them i repainting it blue so iy will blend in more and my dad paint cars so its going to be sanded down lightly and sprayed in primmer and everything so i thault it would be fine but wasnt to sure

Even if its primered and all that heres the difference...on cars the panels dont do much flexing. the plastic on your quad is going to flex a whole lot more, that flexing will eventually make it crack and peel
    01 300EX
    FMF megamaxx II
    TwinAir
    Lonestar +2 axle
    AC bumper
    DG Alloy Nerfs
    Tag X5 bars
    Gunnar Lanyard
    Kenda Klaws

Yeah and the second you get riding in woods it will chip off and show the old through and look worse than what it does now. Before you sell your bike just give it a good coat of Armoral and it will look shiney NEW...
    - #48 2004 BLUE YFZ 450 -
    One Industries - AC nerfs - Ac Full Skid - AC Bumper - Pro Design Kill Switch - Shockpro shockcovers - PEP Chain relocator - Bullet Parking block off - Motion Pro Twist Throtle - Cam Mod -

Jetting 170 main - 48 pilot - stock needle 5th clip - fuel screw 2 and 3/4 turns - runs awesome

dont do this guy, my friend have try it on his 250r, primer, paint, paint and a clear, but after 2 or 3 ride the paint peel and go away, like 300exman says, just put some armor all on plastic its works wells
    Brand New 450R, First on the List!!!!

They do make spray paint thats for painting plastic. My sons blaster has been spray painted, and it's not too bad. Go to some good hardware stores and look for plastic paint.

If your dad paints cars, he knows about flex additive. That is added in small amounts to paint and clear coat. Add a little extra to each and it should be fine for quite awhile. I would not prime plastic to paint it. Use several coats of the paint to blend out the scratches and old color.

I have not done this on a quad yet, so dont take it as a given. It still may not work. Get an old MX fender or ATC front and practice and bend it around to see if it stresses the paint.
    2004 TRX450R

Previously owned:1988 250R, 2000 400ex,1999 440ex,1994 300EX,1988 Tecate4,198? Tecate3,1984 ATC250R,1998 Blaster,1988 Blaster,1991 LT230(junk),1989 lt250S(4 stroke),numerous dirtbikes, streetbikes,sleds..and wifes 1998 3004x4

Talking

Use a heat gun to remove the white creases. But be careful too much heat will melt it.

what if i already sanded them with a light grid sandpaper now what can i do ? should i just give it a shot and see how it turns out ? and is there anyway that the paint will stick better to the plastic without chipping so bad when they flex ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast