Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different filters for SX atv

Different filters for SX atv

I am wondering if anyone makes a cotton or gauze filter for the SX atv's yet. Even a whole new intake system would be ok. I like the stock intake setup and easy of use, but can't stand foam filters. K&n does not have one yet, but said 3 months ago they were working on one.

2009 KTM 450 SX - Race Bike
    2009 KTM 450 SX - Practice Bike

Thanks to my 2009 Sponsors: KTM Factory Support, Motosports Factory,Rocket Ron Racing, Clutch Industries,Twin Air,EVS Sports,CP Pistons, Leo Vince Exhausts, Blitz Vision,Division 26 Clothing, DRG , FourWerx , ASV Inventions, KB Motorsports, WP Suspension
    www.fwcarbon.com
    email: Jay@fwcarbon.com

Yes I saw that, but it is for an XC and the filters are different. Maybe you could modify it to work, but it is not made for an SX.

Ti valves and K&N air filter are a bad combo. You'd be better off to learn to like foam air filters. It's much cheaper too. Every engine I take apart I can tell what filter they've been running. I'm sure some donkey will come on here and say they've never had a problem with theirs, but nothing stops fine and silty dust like an oiled foam filter can. Ktm offers dust covers for these, and also outer wears type covers for these machines.
    2009 KTM 505sx
    Gen 2 DASA system
    PEP revalves
    FCI intake
    Precision Steering damper
    Fourwerx carbon hood and heat sheild
    Action Motorsports battery relocator
    All the orange Bling....
    Much much more..

Thanks to:
    Action Motorsports KTM
    maxpower-engines.com
    Fwcarbon.com

'06-'07-'08 Great lakes Quad series 35+ champion and Pee Wee Dad

Thanks for your reply, but this donkey has never used anything else and has "not had any problems". I don't know how you can tell the difference once your inside the motor, maybe they don't know how to oil them or how often to change them. Anyhow I was just looking for some ideas, not salvation.

I dont know much about if they are doing anything with the K&N on the SX, but from what I do know about KTM's and dealing with them, I wouldn't run one. Personally I run Twin Air and wouldn't run anything else. K&N filters have been used on my Honda's in the past, but with the SX, and the design of the intake, I would have to say that Twin Air, or foam filter is the way to go.

Just my .02. If you find some info out, let us know.

jay
    2009 KTM 450 SX - Race Bike
    2009 KTM 450 SX - Practice Bike

Thanks to my 2009 Sponsors: KTM Factory Support, Motosports Factory,Rocket Ron Racing, Clutch Industries,Twin Air,EVS Sports,CP Pistons, Leo Vince Exhausts, Blitz Vision,Division 26 Clothing, DRG , FourWerx , ASV Inventions, KB Motorsports, WP Suspension
    www.fwcarbon.com
    email: Jay@fwcarbon.com

Yeaa these guys are right and there just trying to simply save you some money in the end.

K&N dosnt belong on any off road machine

Originally posted by miles Machine
    Yeaa these guys are right and there just trying to simply save you some money in the end.

+1

So far there hasnt been much success with K&N on the KTM. they are not sealing very well. Unless you run a COMPLETELY different intake set up from the carb foam may be the way to go for now...

Originally posted by miles Machine

AMEN!!!!!!
    Dont go ninjain no body that dont need ninjaing!!!!!

I do not jump on your posts, and change the subject by telling you how the products you use are way worse than what I use, because I know so and you don't. So don't do it to me. I would have titled it "Are cotton filters vastly inferior to foam ones?" if I cared. Thanks to anyone who has some real input on my topic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast