Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Need your input on my son

Sounds like a nice set up. We have 6 weeks between points races after tomorrow so maybe we'll have to check it out. The extra practice time would be nice. Its an extra 45min - 1hr ride so I don't think it would be a regular track for us. You never know...

He looks fine to me too. Only to really be sure is to let him out there and see how he feels. My son started when he was 7 in the 70mod class in New England. He was gettin spanked pretty bad but havin tons-a-fun. The next year they did away with the 70 class and just had 90modified startin at age 8 so he was the youngest kid out there. By his third year he was still the youngest kid up against teen-age kids but beat-em all taking his first championship (NEATV 90 modified '07' #97) I guess my point is when you start em young like that up against fast kids they accell very quickly. Now the little **** is doin some pretty sick doubles that half the aduld riders wont even try. I give him a pretty strict safety lecture before every gate-drop and so far he's kept it in controll. GOOD-LUCK
    #97 90 modified

He's run 2 races so far and has placed 4th in both. He's not riding with the same intensity in the races as he is in that vid . Last week he took 6 secs off of his best lap times and in the end of the day he had a nasty lil crash. That set him back quite a bit on his performance. Even with that, there was only 1 kid he couldn't ride with. This lil boy looked like a grown man in a kids body on a kids quad . It's a process and he's going to have to get better over time. The more seat time and the more I coach him on techique the faster he'll get.
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ride1Rob
    [ Even with that, there was only 1 kid he couldn't ride with. This lil boy looked like a grown man in a kids body on a kids quad .

If you're referring to our kid on last Saturdays practice.... I think we'll take that as a "good rider" compliment. You've got to remember that Jordan has had a LOT of seat time. He's really had to practice hard to get where he's at today and he still needs some work. There are a lot of hours, sweat, blood and a few broken bones behind him. The only suggestions I have is make sure you take your boy to the track every chance you get so he can get that seat time. Also, once he gets comfortable at Bartow you need to switch up the tracks. Don't get him to used to one track. I think Jordan really started improving his riding when we started doing the SSQSA series and it was different tracks every race.
    Sold the quads so not as ....
    Broke parents of Jordan Gibson #8

Learners permit on a YZ125
    2012 Youth Champion Dade City Mx
    Lonestar 250r with crf250r engine

Yes I am talking about lil Jordan Gibson!!! Jam is still talking about him lol. I'm glad you guys came out so that Jam could see someone his age ride as good as Jordan does. And thanx for the tips on the different tracks as well. I really just wanted to get him accustomed to racing and see how his skills would progress this year. Then we'll see if he's ready for something more competitive. At this stage he still has a bit to go.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

I thought your boy was doing good for basically just starting. That is a lot of bike for him to get used to! Have you ever considered getting him something smaller and something that he doesn't have to shift-cvt? With him being only 7 yrs old it's going to be kind of tough to have him in a competitive class with kids his own age. Not that he won't grow into the quad he has now but it might make it easier for him from the get go, give him a confidence boost too.

Is this Saturday at Bartow quad race night? We are considering going there again this weekend. We are doing the Dade series but like to go to other tracks when they don't have race night.

Yeah it's Quad points nite this Saturday and you should bring Jordan out to race that nite. I'm sure he'll have a blast and the other kids will as well racing against him. My boy hasn't been doing all that well in school this week and as of now he's not racing. If you bring Jordan out I just may have to bring him to the track and let him race .

I got him the quad and knew that it was something he'd grow into. I didn't have any plans of him racing and it was just something that he could ride on over 3-4yrs. I have thought about getting him a DRR or Apex but figured only riding the shifter would help in the long run. At 7 he already understands the concept of downshifting. The biggest problem he has is he's not strong enough to hit the gears on upshift everytime and very often has mis shifts.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

We're going to practice and race on Sat. Hope to see you there

If I bring him he won't be racing this weekend. Just can't seem to get it together in school.

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works