Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to remove carb?

how to remove carb?

did a search and couldnt find any writeups.

i've losened the clamp so its free from the engine. Do i have to remove the all fuel lines and throttle cable? i ordered my JD jet kit and and getting ready for it to arrive.

I did pull off the black hose on the shifter side of the motor and it fuel came out so i reconnected it. i guess this is the feed line from the tank? is the other black hose on the other side of the carb a return line??

looking for pics or how to threads.

thanks,
    noobie

also i'm reading about the air screw. that's not the black knob screw on the side of the car, correct? the air screw is somewhere underneath the carb??

You do not need to remove the carb completely to rejet or to install a new needle. Remove the air box by removing the 4 screws that bolt it to the frame and the clamp that holds the air boot to the back of the carb. Then, loosen the clamp on the front of the carb and pull the carb straight back. Once loose, you can get the top off to get to the needle and can turn it so the bottom faces the left side. THis allows for access to the bottom of the carb. Reverse the order to put it back on. EASY!

Ok, since I do not know if this is for an IRS or an SRA model, I will say this is how to do it on the IRS! I have no experience on the SRA so I can't answer that part. I would assume that it can be jetted while still on the bike as well.
    07 Polaris Outlaw 525
    HMF * AC Blackline * K&N * EHS * ProTaper * Oury * PRM * Pure Polaris * Kenda * Skat Trak * Moore Power * JD Jetting * KTM Hard Parts * Pingel * Maxxis

The black knob is for the idle speed.

The fuel screw is in the bottom of the front of the carb. It's kinda hard to adjust since you can't reach it easily. There are places that sell ones that have a knob you can turn with your fingers which makes it easier like this one:
    http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/produ...5&cat=4&page=1

Let us know if you need more help as you go.
    Mark
    2008 Outlaw 525 IRS

Thanks for the info! yes, this is for an IRS. i had already removed the airbox assembly. I'll take a pic tomorrow, but am i to remove the plate directly on top of the carb? and this is where the jets and needle are? i belive there are 2 allen head screws there iirc.

only mods to the bike are a k&n filter. from what i've been reding i need to use the red needle. dont know which clip to put it on though. 1-5?? guess i'll see what all that is when i get the plate off and see the jets, needles.

100% noob when it comes to carbs.

The needle comes out the top. The main jet comes out thru the float bowl drain bolt hole.

Just follow the good directions in the JD kit.

I have a slip on FMF muffler and stock filter and air box and at my elevation of about 1200feet I run the red needle on the fifth clip position and the 165 main with good results. I also changed the included leak jet and installed the smaller o-ring on the accelerator pump linkage.

Just take your time and let us know how it goes.
    Mark
    2008 Outlaw 525 IRS

and about the black lines
    the one you pulled off and fuel came out is the feed line
    if you ever want to take it off for anything just shut off the fuel under the tank first
    the other one is the crankcase breather line (no fuel)

here you go there is some pretty good info in this forum on what everyone else is running for jetting

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=343194

I am @ 1000' , K&N, open air box, bafffle removed on exhaust
    165 main
    48 pilot
    blue needle 4th clip
    A/F screw 1 1/2 out
    big o-ring
    Runs Sweet

thanks for all the info guys!! i'm feeling pretty confident once my JD kit gets here. i've removed everything except the throttle cable. i'll probably take that off too so i can jet teh carb on my work bench. i dont want to mess anythign up or drop anything with my fat fingers. lol

under this cap, is that where the air/fuel screw is that i've read about??

or is the air/fuel screw this?? if so , how the heck to you turn it b/c i dont see a alan head screw inside of it, etc.

Originally posted by TINKRD
    or is the air/fuel screw this?? if so , how the heck to you turn it b/c i dont see a alan head screw inside of it, etc.

Sorry so long to reply. That little plug gets removed so you can see the fuel screw.

The main jet lives under the large drain plug.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Mark
    2008 Outlaw 525 IRS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast