Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipers for the Double X

Hipers for the Double X

Anybody call or check on the availability of 11" hipers? Or if they had a plan to build any.
    T
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)
    89 TRX 250R - Fully Restored Original

they do not and will not make them. called and checked several times.

well they just went down a notch or two in my book...
    496cc Saber 2 Stroke MX Project "Elsinore" (Laeger Narrow/CR500 Build - In Process)

i agree. i dont see the big deal in making an 11" wheel. It's 2008 and it cant possibly be that big of an investment to make their style of wheel in aluminum ... make a cast of the wheel ..and then fill the cast with carbon fiber. I've made many parts to my ninja in carbon fiber ... granted ...they aren't wheels ..but any good engineering program could point towards the correct lay of the carbon fiber along with thickness to get the required strength.

In reality ..carbon fiber is much easier to work with than say a cnc machine trying to make a wheel...or even casting a wheel.

with that said ...ITP WILL NOT make an 11" wheel either ..they are trying to force people into using their 10" wheel with ONE tire size... they make the tire of course too ...

stay strong with your patience ..the razr's and other maxxis tires will be out very soon.

Originally posted by trailin'me

with that said ...ITP WILL NOT make an 11" wheel either ..they are trying to force people into using their 10" wheel with ONE tire size... they make the tire of course too ...

Yea, and with the offset they have on there 10" rim the rear end will be at least 50" wide.
    2006 LTR450 Rath Racing XC racer.

It took Hiper over 2 years to finally come out with a 12" wheel for utilities, and these wheels fit many models. The 11" will only work with the 700xx and no other. So the R&D for just one wheel for one model isn't worth it to them.

Originally posted by GE4x4
    It took Hiper over 2 years to finally come out with a 12" wheel for utilities, and these wheels fit many models. The 11" will only work with the 700xx and no other. So the R&D for just one wheel for one model isn't worth it to them.
    maybe ... but lets say taht wheel was on one of the 700xx's that won the baja500... all of a sudden that "investment" turns into a gold mine ... everyone notices bajas... and everyone ..regardless of bike brand preference takes notice as to the equipment being used on the bikes.

true ..the wheel only comes onthe 700xx ... but who knows what the hell else it would work well... or even improve on?

Rubber is much heavier than carbon fiber ... flat trackers especially could benefit from a much larger diameter wheel and less inside tire ...like the 24"s on my mdx ... very little rubber (low profile tire)...

I think they or any other manufacturer could find or even make a market for any size tire/wheel they choose to.

Lastly ..im all about a wide variety of options... sure id like to try some 10's .. some 9's ... maybe even some 12's ... but the tires arent there ...or they dont fit.

Originally posted by trailin'me
    maybe ... but lets say taht wheel was on one of the 700xx's that won the baja500... all of a sudden that "investment" turns into a gold mine ... everyone notices bajas... and everyone ..regardless of bike brand preference takes notice as to the equipment being used on the bikes.

true ..the wheel only comes onthe 700xx ... but who knows what the hell else it would work well... or even improve on?

Rubber is much heavier than carbon fiber ... flat trackers especially could benefit from a much larger diameter wheel and less inside tire ...like the 24"s on my mdx ... very little rubber (low profile tire)...

I think they or any other manufacturer could find or even make a market for any size tire/wheel they choose to.

Lastly ..im all about a wide variety of options... sure id like to try some 10's .. some 9's ... maybe even some 12's ... but the tires arent there ...or they dont fit.

Hate to say it, but Baja's are the least looked at race to everyone. No one base mods off a Baja. What are there 20 - 25 quads who enter total? What people look at for what works in XC racing which is in every area and especially GNCC where you will get some 400-500 quads each race. Then the same with MX and the WORCS series. These are what companies build mods for and these are what people look to see what the Pros are running. Not a Baja.

2nd, a larger rim with a smaller diameter tire will weigh more then a smaller rim and larger diameter tire. So a 11" rim will be of no use what's so ever to anyone else. Why do you thing MX guys run 8" wheels, it's unsprung weight. XC guys run 9" instead of 10".

I thought the smaller wheel and larger tire improve traction due to sidewall flex?

At least OMF, makes a wheel. Also, the stock wheels can be modified by Beadlock Specialties to add beadlocks to them... at least the 9, 10 and 12's. I haven't called on the 11's yet.

Originally posted by troybilt
    I thought the smaller wheel and larger tire improve traction due to sidewall flex?

It also provides a better ride to. Large rim with small sidewalls will give a harsher ride. Not a good set-up for MX or XC.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast