Thread: Oil Tank

Oil Tank

Do someone have a problem on 400ex 1999 or 2000 oil tank breaking off on the drain bolt?

I know several people here have had problems with the oil tank breaking when they either take out the bolt or tring to tighten it. These tanks are made from very thin metal. I have always been careful taking mine out, so personally I have not had a problem. I went to a 3 qt oil tank when I did my 463 kit.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

yeah they break alot. i sold someone mine when they broke theirs, so its kinda like gettin a discount on my pingrys!!
    01' 400ex-White Brothers slip-on w/12 discs, ground out welds in stock header,k&n fliter, precharger, stage 2 jets air box lid off, white brothers all-around cam, white brothers titanium valve springs, 22" razr 6ply up front and 20" rear razr 6ply, 15T (16 also)front and 38T (36 also)rear sprockets, PRM Baja front bumper, and PRM 6 pk. rack. (ya i know beer holder ooooooh! haha laugh about it!) WB e-brake block off, WB e-z pull clutch reducer, MSR raptor shorty clutch lever (yellow) Pingry's oversized oil tank.
    next mod-my next mod will not be soon since im workin on gettin a house! ya i know i never thought anything would come before my ex.

Mine never broke, but the threads on the oil return line stripped clean when I swapped oil tanks.
    No matter what you ride, its all good.
    -------------------------

2000 440EX (Sold)
    --------------------------
    2003 Polaris Predator (Sold)

i never had any problems with my oil tank,changed my oil 60 or so times without incident.i do agree that stock tank is somewhat flimsy so you do need to be careful dont use a1/2 drive rachet.Ijust installed a cycle tech -accu-fab -oversized oil tank and desert toyz baja super cooler (very nice high quality products) these products should keep my new pro fab 416 nice and cool.
    2000 426ex all the cool stuff 2002 kvf650 v twin (nicely modded) 1990 yfz350 (duncan,lonestar,roll design,paddle masters-fast-

i hit a stump with mine and it pushed the drain bolt up into the tank

Yes they can break....

My son broke his the first time he changed the oil. Take it off, drain it and take it to a welding shop. Got mine welded for $10 and I don't think it will ever be problem again. He broke his putting the bolt back in, he didn't think it was getting tight enough.

Lot cheaper than buying a new one!