Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

Calipers

Do you know if calipers are the same throughout the years, or are 04-05 calipers different from the 06-08??

Good question--yes they are the same, any year 450R will work.

I'm actually using 05 calipers, lines and master cylinder, w/06-up spindles.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Some more information. I installed 07' 450R hubs today due to a broken stud in my stock hubs shortly after my brake swap (I made a mistake--it had nothing to do with the swap).

The 450R hubs made no difference in the width of the quad, the inner seal and bearing spacer are identical to the EX seal and spacer.

The outer seal and spacer is different, but interchangeable.

I decided to go with the R hubs for the color--to match the rest of my EX. Also the R hubs show the wheel stud separately on the parts breakdown, if I break a stud now, I buy a stud. The EX hubs do not show the stud as being replaceable/a separate item.

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Re: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

Originally posted by Wheelie
    After researching this subject extensively, and the recent threads about it, I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread to answer everyones questions on the subject.

Here are a couple pics I took comparing the 04-05 spindle to the 06-up spindle. The 06-up spindles look nearly identical to the 400ex spindle.

The 04/05 spindle is on top, 06-up on the bottom.

04/05 on the left, 06-up on the right. Notice the extra material on the 06 spindle. The spindle is notably heavier than the 04/05 spindle. Also note the location of the arm where the tie-rod attaches to the spindle. The 06-up spindle places the tie-rod attachment point closer to the upper ball joint.

04/05 on the left, 06-up on the right.

The stock 400ex hubs will bolt up to the 06-up spindles without any issues, the caliper alignment is perfect.

The 04/05 spindle will require the use of 04/05 hubs and due to caster changes, an adjustable upper a-arm is advised: I don't know this first hand, this info is based on issues posted on here, and judging by the differences in the spindles, I could foresee it being an issue.

Any other info is welcome.

Mods, make this a sticky?
    I just thought of something... Because the tie rod attachment point is further away from the upper ball joint on the 04/05's, would that make for a wider turning radius than with the 06's or even the stock ex hubs??
    03 Honda 400ex: Built for Xc

01 Yamaha Blaster: Gettin' built

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

^^^^ oopps spindles, I meant the spindles..

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

Re: Re: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

Originally posted by flauge
    I just thought of something... Because the tie rod attachment point is further away from the upper ball joint on the 04/05's, would that make for a wider turning radius than with the 06's or even the stock ex hubs??
    It's very possible.

The drastic differences between the two spindles could make for some interesting handling characteristics.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Re: Re: Re: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

Originally posted by Wheelie
    It's very possible.

The drastic differences between the two spindles could make for some interesting handling characteristics.
    Yea, tell me about it.. I got a good taste of those interesting handling characteristics at a race this past Sunday.. The track was very tight and got rutted out by the last 2 laps, thats really when my theory hit me, well after a lot of cussing that is..

I just scored a 450R rear caliper off Ebay, I already have the brake stay and rotor/brake hub. When I do the install, I'll take a bunch of pics and post all the information here.

Mods, make this a sticky? I think this thread will help a lot of people out.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

I already tore down the rear setup without taking any pics to replace a bad axle bearing. The bearings should be here next weds, the brake pads for the rear caliper will be here weds as well.

The 450R rear brake swap will be done next weekend--hopefully on the 20th. I can't wait!

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

I cant wait to see how that goes!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast