Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

Here's a pic before I started. I used the sand tires because the rib in the center makes it much easier to measure toe-in.

Here are a few comparison pics between to the EX and the 06-up R spindles. The R spindles are much beefier and heavier than the EX spindles. The 1st two pics the R spindle is on the right. The last pic the R spindle is on the left.

2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

This is with the R spindles bolted in place.

Hubs and calipers bolted up.

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

The next 2 pics show my brake line routing. I did it this way for 2 reasons: 1. because my Houser arms don't have a tab in the stock location--heck they don't have a tab to retain a brake line at all

2. The use of the R brake lines wouldn't allow the stock retainer to be used (the one that bolts to the upper ball joint nut).

I move the stock retainer from the upper ball joint nut to the lower shock mount bolt and routed the brake line accordingly. It looks unusual, but it's out of the way and the line doesn't get pinched or kinked. I actually like how it turned out.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

I have some 06 450r spindles as well as the rest of the stock front end for sale if anyone is interested

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...hreadid=365986

This is a shot of the 450R master cylinder, the brake lever is a lot shorter than the EX brake lever--it's also adjustable. Another added bonus is the microswitch. With a little time and effort a brake light could be wired in utilizing this switch.

I had some requests for pictures showing tie-rod clearance. The clearance wasn't affected, it's the same as it was with the stock EX spindles.

Here's shot with it all finished. The sun came out and screwed up the quality of the photo. I wanted to ride it so I didn't take a second shot.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Any feedback or questions would be greatly appreciated. I tried to make this process as informative as possible and to remove all doubt and questions as to what was needed to complete this upgrade.

I personally think this would make a great sticky.

Jeremiah

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

hell yeah we shoudl sticky this, it seems like the perfect swap. a follow up after you bleed the breaks again would be great.

Seems like a very nice bang for the buck braking modification.

thanks for all the information. i'll be looking into it.

I bleed the brakes again today and the brake feel improved a lot. It's now where it should be. The braking performance of this swap still has me smiling---time to practice stoppies/nose wheelies.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

You da man, Wheelie! Thanks for the clearence pic. Those are factory rims too right? They look like they are from looking at the lip. Those would definitely hit with my 04-05's and I don't even want to know how they would work with 4:1's.
    I guess I'm gonna be having me a new off-season project coming up.
    03 Honda 400ex: Built for Xc

01 Yamaha Blaster: Gettin' built

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

They are factory wheels.

I went for a ride yesterday afternoon to see how everything felt. The turning radius wasn't affected, the quad handles no different than it did before--until the brake lever is pulled.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast