Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 450R Brake Upgrade Info

450R Brake Upgrade Info

After researching this subject extensively, and the recent threads about it, I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread to answer everyones questions on the subject.

Here are a couple pics I took comparing the 04-05 spindle to the 06-up spindle. The 06-up spindles look nearly identical to the 400ex spindle.

The 04/05 spindle is on top, 06-up on the bottom.

04/05 on the left, 06-up on the right. Notice the extra material on the 06 spindle. The spindle is notably heavier than the 04/05 spindle. Also note the location of the arm where the tie-rod attaches to the spindle. The 06-up spindle places the tie-rod attachment point closer to the upper ball joint.

04/05 on the left, 06-up on the right.

The stock 400ex hubs will bolt up to the 06-up spindles without any issues, the caliper alignment is perfect.

The 04/05 spindle will require the use of 04/05 hubs and due to caster changes, an adjustable upper a-arm is advised: I don't know this first hand, this info is based on issues posted on here, and judging by the differences in the spindles, I could foresee it being an issue.

Any other info is welcome.

Mods, make this a sticky?
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Man thanks a lot, I've been needing some side by side pics to see where the tie rod arm is located on the 06's. From the looks of it, the 06's will solve my tie rod end clearence issues.
    03 Honda 400ex: Built for Xc

01 Yamaha Blaster: Gettin' built

Thanks 08 Sponsors: Amsoil, GTThunder, HMF Engineering, Ready Racing, & Vengeance Clothing Ltd.

so why didnt others hink of this before? Everyone was doing the 04/05 I wuld assume because the 04/05 450r handled better? So this mod will improve braking and will widen the quad?

The 04/05 Spindles improve the handling on a 06-up 450R, which is why I think a lot of the EX riders were using the 04/05 spindles and the 06-up spindles were shunned. After reading another post about the 06-up spindles, I decided to buy one to see the difference for myself.

This mod will improve braking. I don't think the quad will be any wider using the EX hubs. I won't know for sure until I get my other spindle and mount everything up.

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

I cant wait to hear how it rides

I just scored the spindle I needed off Ebay! Hopefully it will be here by next weekend and I can finally finish the conversion!

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

hi wheelie i PM you about the front width when you done.
    02 400ex fan cooled
    11:1 85MM Wiseco piston
    stg 2 hotcam
    port and polished head, intake
    Kibblewhite springs
    450r timing chain
    450r carb 180 main yfz cable
    Sparks advance key
    lightweight flywheel
    Hetrick header custom exhaust
    K&N filter w/outerwear precharger
    Pro-flo stainless steel oil filter
    spark plug resistor mod
    450r front shocks yfz450 springs
    yfz450 brake pads
    steel braided brake lines frt & rr
    450r bumper
    Pro design shifter
    Hinson rear brake lever
    drilled airbox snorkle removed
    Moose ebrake plate
    Renthal bars
    Moose levers

I received the spindle yesterday, I plan on installing everything on Saturday.

I will take pics before I start and after I finish of the front end. I will also post any changes to the width of the front end, if any; any adjustments or changes needed in toe-in, and any other information that seems relevant at the time.

I will do everything I can to make sure that someone interested in this mod won't have any unanswered questions after reading this post.

If there is anything in particular anyone wants/needs to know, let me know before Saturday morning and I will get the relevant information.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

I'm pretty interested in the outcome of this, if all you needed (unmodified) was to buy 06+ spindles and calipers to make the conversion, i'd be all over it.

Let me know how it turns out.

The brake swap is done!! The braking performance is incredible, this is a must do swap. I need to bleed my brakes one more time, as the brake feel is a bit mushy. Regardless, this thing stops on a dime!

I've got a lot of information to post up, so this might take several posts to do it....I've also got about 15 pictures of the swap, posting tie-rod clearance, spindle differences, etc.

First of all:

This was literally a plug and play mod, there were NO adjustments needed to toe-in or caster. Also, there weren't any differences in width due to the swap--the measurements were EXACTLY the same as far as toe-in was concerned, and width--no changes whatsoever due to the swap.

Another note--the 450R brake lines are 1" longer than the EX brake lines, they were a bit long in my setup, even with my +1's. I'm sure they would work great with +2's. I used the EX brake line from the master cylinder to the 'T' on the frame, the R lines from the 'T' to the calipers.

My Part List:

06-up Spindles
    450R calipers and Master Cylinder
    450R brake hoses

All you need for this swap at a bare minimum is the 06-up 450R Spindles and Calipers. I would recommend buying the R master cylinder, due to the shorter and adjustable brake lever. Not to mention the option of running a brake light on a EX.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast