Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: eton wont start need help

eton wont start need help

I picked up a dlx90 eton and cant get it to start .It has spark and it has fuel but it wont fire .I sprayed some fuel in the carb it should fire on that at a min. I looked at the reeds they seem fine and flutter back and forth when I turn it over. what would cause it not to fire at all. I dont know the condition of the top end. thanks mike

Did you check the compression? Stock should be at least 100 psi. Does it spark multiple times when you kick it over watching the spark plug? sometimes when the stator or cdi goes bad it will spark a single time, then stop, as you kick it over. Another problem area that could cause this is the stock kill switch. Replace it with a good one like a pro armor, or preo design.

Hope this helped, Dan.

Yup. The spark easiest to check first. Just went thru it 2 weeks ago.

If it's fine ,add some oil to help seal rings and then a squirt of primer.Once it heats up a bit everything will expand a bit and will start easier if your lucky.

Also if you notice the "black ooze" around the exhaust header , or even unbolt the exhaust from the head and see if it's dripping excessive blow by.

This is assuming the carb isn't dumping extra gas into the cyl. because the overflow is plugged.

This is my backyard way if no compression gage is available.
    Bill
    Rider: Zachary "Z"
    Honda 300ex
    Honda 250x
    Eton 90....ish
    Skidoo Rev 550

still not firing

ok I did a compression check and it said a 100lbs if Im doing it right ? I hooked up the gage and used the elecric starter and it ran up to a 100lbs and thats as far as it would go.now if the kill switch was bad wouldent prevent it from sparking isnt that the way they work?? if its getting spark and gas it should fire right???? thanks mike

Are you getting the a nice blue spark that repeats every time you crank it ? 2 of the 3 etons i've owned had stator problems, prolly water/dirt and they had weak or intermittent spark before failing. I always check the spark in low light conditions.

If the kill switch is bad you typically won't get any spark . Unless it's a bad connection or corrosion sets in , then you could get intermittent spark.Clean the contact points on the switch with some scotchbrite or brillo pad.Or bypass the switch.

Throw a little 2 stroke oil in the cyl. and see if it raises the compression. 100 psi i on the low side.When you do the compression test make sure your holding the throttle wide open.Since you can't warm it up, the oil may help seal it a bit.Let it sit for a few minute and see if leaks down.If all other conditions are good, it should run on 100 psi.
    Leave the oil in and then try your starting fluid and see if it at least burps a little.Go easy on fluid as it will wash away the oil and can cause more wear.
    5-10 cranks should give you a pretty good idea.

If it's been sitting awhile there could even be condensation build up inside.

It could be a combination of things instead of any one thing. Weak spark and low compression can give that result. Flooding and weak spark can too.Low comp. weak spark and starting fluid may still not work.

At some point you may have to go to specs for you ignition system, float settings, etc.
    Bill
    Rider: Zachary "Z"
    Honda 300ex
    Honda 250x
    Eton 90....ish
    Skidoo Rev 550

ok

Im glad I still have lots of hair because a wad of it is sitting besides this friken quad! Ok I added some oil and got a reading of 120lbs and it seamed to hold there for a long time , i would say the top end is fine.I also switched out the kill switch assembly with a good one and still the same.I also tryed the starting fluid and still no luck.OK heres my thought does the cdi only control the spark could it give spark but be sending a bad signal to not let it run?? if that makes any sence?? also the spark is strong. thanks guys

I went through all the same stuff on a drr that you are going through. Had a spark that appeared to be strong. I changed and tried everything, unfortunately for me the last thing I tried was the coil (afterall it had a spark). I guess the spark wasn't strong enough under a load. Just thought I would throw that into the mix.
    Sold the quads so not as ....
    Broke parents of Jordan Gibson #8

Learners permit on a YZ125
    2012 Youth Champion Dade City Mx
    Lonestar 250r with crf250r engine

does the plug come out looking wet or dry? 100 psi may not try to start off the electric starter, you may have to kick it. A fresh 90 should hold at least 160. You say you can see the reeds flutter? that doesn't mean they're good, they need to seat tightly so they don't pull too much fuel at low speed. It can be very frustrating at times but that when I usually walk away, then at about 2am it hits me and it is something real simple. Good luck too you.

The compression is good. An Eton does not have 160 psi compression stock, more like 110-120... They don't come with a high compression head. My guess is the coil or Stator are bad. You need to check the resistance of the stator.

Here is a link to a good article in another site. Hope this helps!

http://forumsminiatv.proboards58.com...ay&thread=1513

I am sorry I tried to help!!!! I don't know why I try, everytime I do someone has something they think is so much better. You say stator or coil is your"GUESS". As was my post, and I have been around several of these motors, so I felt it was an educated one. I have never had a fresh motor read that low?? We all are just here to try to help one another, not to try to prove each other wrong. I will stay out of the thread!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast