Thread: cylinder head bolts?

cylinder head bolts?

i am going to have my top end apart on my 400ex (when i get my cam & some other motor work)

i will torque everything to spec when i put it back together. after i run it for a few minutes do i need to torque the head bolts again after it warms up?
    2000 400ex with a mikuni tm38 carb, tc racing pipe, rebuilding motor

It has been a while since I had mine apart, but when I installed my 440 kit I only torqued them once. On a gas motor the head bolts are not torqued to yeild. Which means that the bolts don't stretch like a diesel engine. So once should do it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    2002 KTM 400 EXC, this bike is awsome!

Quads I use to own:
    FDO 463ex, Gas Gas 300, Gas Gas 450, Rancher, Yamaha Warrior, ATC Big Red.

If you can't afford to fix it or replace it, don't ask to ride it!

just torque once. And be very carefull with the cylinder head cover bolts, (theres like 13 of them). There very long and easy to break I think the torque on them is like 4foot pounds? I'm not sure but just tighten them firm, do not over tighten. I kknow from experiance.
    Theres one 8mm bolt that my book said tighten to like 14, and didnt say about the 6mm bolts so I figured 7 would be a good torque, but I was wrong right after my torque wrench got past 5 the bolt broke. oops. I just left it broke though I figured 'crap theres 12 more to hold it on, it will be ok' heh, been good so far.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

the guy that did my 440 told us to run it for 45 minutes or an hour and then check the cam chain tension and re torque the head bolts, but thats just him, i think he also does vors (you know the dirt bikes)
    (C) A HARD-ARSE PRODUCTION
    Hardarse Clan>Admin>Joo

YXZ1000R

LED Performance JRD Narrow Puma 434

Hott440ex who sells a billet cam for the 400ex?
    2004 YFZ 450-- Couple of usefull options--
    http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

AtvNC.com Race Team

i dont know where he got it, but the guy that did my motor is named Russ Fletch, his shop is Fletch Trick in Camas,im not sure if that is in washington or oregon, pretty sure washington though. his phone # is 1360 253 7177 if you want to ask him. that cam was just on the list under like stage 2. i think
    (C) A HARD-ARSE PRODUCTION
    Hardarse Clan>Admin>Joo

YXZ1000R

LED Performance JRD Narrow Puma 434