Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw 525 oil capacity

Outlaw 525 oil capacity

Hey everyone. I just got an Outlaw 525 IRS last weekend. I have put about 3 hours on it and tonight I decided it was time for the first oil change. Here's where I'm confused. The manual says to add 1.27 quarts of oil after draining the old oil. BUT the capacities section of the manual says the engine holds 1.9 quarts. I added about 1.3 quarts and the oil level is about 1/4 inch above the bottom of the sight glass. I ran the engine for a few minutes and didn't notice the level raise by that much. The bike was new when I bought it and the oil level has always been to the top of the glass (hot or cold). I have read that they come a little too full from the factory.

I also added oil to the new filters before putting them in so I probably have almost 1.5 quarts in there now. Anyone know why the level is still so low? Is this normal? Thanks for the any help you can give me. I love this quad and just want to make sure everything is ok.
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS

The amount depends on how well you got the old out when draining. I found it drains out more with the front end in the air. That being said, 1.9 qts always seems to be too much. 1.3 -1.5 is about right. The important thing is, you want the oil at the bottom of the sight gauge cold( run the engine for a minute, and then shut it off for a minute and check). when the engine is hot, the level should climb to about 3/4 sight. It is important not to overfill this engine, it will cause overheating, and power loss. There is an entire 6 pages devoted to oil changes, and a HOW TO section on predatorowners.com.

Thanks for the reply. 1.3-1.5 it is. One thing though. I let the engine idle for about 3 minutes but the oil level didn't go up. Was the engine not warm enough to really let the oil expand? The fan was running and there was a decent amount of heat coming off the engine. Should I just give it a good ride to see if the level goes up? If it doesn't should I add more so that I get 3/4 full when riding?

Sorry I sound like such a newb. I'm completely new to atv's, and am used to working on cars/trucks.
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS

The engine needs to run longer to get the oil level to rise. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it is at the bottom cold.
    2009OUTLAWIRS #134
    2008-9OUTLAW525XCR #134
    2008RZR
    POLARIS
    Sponsors
    *Polaris Industries
    *R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing
    *predatorowners.com
    *SCOTT, 661, EVOMX,

I'm with SSJEFF, As long as the cold level is ok, the oil will be just fine.
    2007 outlaw 525 IRS (now a 540)
    Built by Poaris on 11/06
    Motor by Duncan Racing 1/08

1987 Lt500R QUADZILLA (sold)

2007 outlander MAX 400 (bought new 4/09)

Thanks for the help guys. I'll leave it where it is and kkep an eye on the level the next time I take it out. Lots of great info on this site. I also checked out predatorowners.com. Any other good sources of Outlaw info out there?
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS

Originally posted by Kannon
    Any other good sources of Outlaw info out there?
    Experience!
    Known off the forums as Dave McPartlin

McPartlin & Sons Racing
    Dave- 08 Outlaw 450MXR IATVHSS #141 B - class
    Landon- 07 KFX50 IATVHSS #99 50 stocker
    Conner- 07 Radio Flyer tricycle

Finally got a chance to take her out this evening. Rode it pretty hard for about 20 minutes and the oil level did not budge. Stayed at the same level as it was when cold (about 1/4" above the bottom of the sight glass). Is this normal??
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS

No, it should go up some. Maybe you are just seeing a little bit hanging on the glass when cold? I would add a little at a time, say maybe an ounce or so. Can you see it churning in the sight when the engine is running and hot?? I would say it sould go to 1/2 or 3/4 when hot.......really warmed up.

No can't see any oil churning in the glass when the engine is running. It just sits there the same as when the engine is off.
    2007 Outlaw 525 IRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast