*R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing
    *predatorowners.com
    *SCOTT, 661, EVOMX,

4K with the paddles and some extra parts.

I have had mine for over a year now with lots of riding time on it, no problem whatsoever with the shifting. You got to remember that these motors are not jap made, shifting is generally not as clean as the yam,and honda's ect.

Mine has the problem of finding netural, common on all the euro bikes i have owned. Once in a while you will miss a shift, it just happens, usually where you dont need it too.

Be sure your shift lever is in the right position for you, as this can help greatly overcome this problem. try up and down a tooth.

Also, since this turned about honda also???

I have always had the desire of riding something different than the big 4 , and have adjusted quite nicely to the handleing/power aspects of the KTM'S, Husky, bergs ect. The big 4 just do not catch my interest.

I am wondering if the ktm bike riders have issues with there shifting, as most are repeat buyers.
    08 525 s

Speaking of shifting issues. Last time i was at the dunes and going hard up a hill the transmission would slip out of gear. I would be in third (happened in second too) and it would slip out like it went into neutral. WTF?

i hate to tell you all but they all have shifting issues.

My buddies LTR has tranny issues
    the Hondas have to get the gears polished or something
    the Yamis do not really have any I have heard of
    nobody has a can am dnf450 really lol
    the Kaw is not used much in xc so i do not hear much on them either.

If it is not going into neutral easy try reving it a little with the clutch pulled in as that has helped me out. thick cold oil really makes it a bear.

It slipping out of gear may not be good, I would change the oil to make sure it is in good shape and no metal chips.

I race these things and am not easy on the transmissions at all. Only issue I have had is that I could not get it into 3rd when accelerating hard sometimes. This has only happened a couple times this year.
    2009OUTLAWIRS #134
    2008-9OUTLAW525XCR #134
    2008RZR
    POLARIS
    Sponsors
    *Polaris Industries
    *R. Falcone Powersports
    Polaris, Ranger, Victory, Triumph, BMW
    West 16th Street Indpls., IN
    just west of the river by Saab
    *GBC tires
    *Rath Racing
    *predatorowners.com
    *SCOTT, 661, EVOMX,

I havent had a problem with my 525 IRS and any of the other outlaws I have rode. So skier207 I think you are alot high on our price, if it is that bad, cause if you look at www.bentleymotorcycles.com you can see that you can buy a new one for 3999.00 + tax. So to me, if there is trany problems and you want to sell it, you should be around 2000.00 obo. it should be tough to sell a pile of **** as bad as you talk it down. So let us all know if you really want to get rid it.
    08 525IRS, FMF 4.1 slip on, JD jetting kit, opened up the air box, 570 big bore kit and NOS.

I've had 4 Outlaws and have raced them all and have never had a shifting issue. I sometimes don't shift hard enough and will hit nuet going from 1st to 2nd, but never any slipping or not going into gear. Use good oil, have enough in the engine, but not to much, and keep the oil change regular, and you won't have a issue. On a side note, the KTM's engine is the same as the Outlaws, and they also don't have issues.

I am tired of all the posts explaining that I don't have a problem with the trans. It serves no purpose as far as learning or resolving the problem. It's a real issue the motor in KTM's bikes do not have reverse. So they are not the same. If anyone that wants to debate if this is a real problem or not I am inviting anyone that is up to it to come take a spin for yourself. I will pay for your round trip ticket to Phoenix Az and nice hotel room to stay in(100.00 a night). If you should accept my challenge and you find that second gear doesn't always engage on the first try. You pay your own way.stay,dinner and a beer for me for my trouble.....

Anyone feeling lucky?

If you insist there is something wrong with your tranny, fix it. Quit crying about it and get it repaired. If the repair shop says nothing is wrong, find another repair shop, repair it yourself, or learn to shift properly. It is a rare problem apparently. I don't doubt there is something wrong with your transmission. But why don't you just get it fixed? You might have a bent shift fork or something going on. *****ing about it won't fix it. Fixing it will fix it. If I were having the same problem as you, first I would make my shift lever was good and tight. Next, I'd make sure my oil was clean and at the proper level....checking proper clutch action would be good also. If nothing obvious was wrong, I'd take it to the Polaris dealer and have it fixed. It might also be a good idea to have your most experienced riding buddy take it for a spin and see what he thinks. Maybe you just need to learn to shift? I have raced the piss out of mine and the only time I miss shifts is when I'm tired and don't upshift hard enough. It always is at a bad time of course. It does seem easier to find nuetral when you don't want to than when you do. I just think that is a characteristic of this motor. It is very hard to find nuetral on my ATK also.

By the way, this is the exact same motor that you will find in the KTM XC Quad. Not the Ktm bikes, duh.
    Future champion.

I also have never torn a cv boot yet, and I race xc. I'm sure I will sooner or later, its almost inevitable. The only problem I regularly have is bent tie rods. I'm ok with that. I'd rather have bent tie rods than broken tie rod ends. At least this way I finish the race.
    Future champion.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast